Anyone Have a Miller Spectrum 250D Plasma Cutter?

I am really not looking for troubleshooting tips although, any input would be appreciated.

I am just seeking general information about this machine from owners or users.

Thanks.

b.

Reply to
buffalo

Did you download the manual from the Miller site if you don't already have a copy?

Reply to
Pete C.

Yes, I did and I do, Pete.

I just now ordered the service manual.

To be honest, I haven't yet opened up the unit but I did want to get any information about the machine from users/owners.

I do know that there are some modules in there that I will probably have to build, if they are out. One, I think, is a 100 amp. multivibrator and another is a 75 amp. 400 volt diode module.

However, for now, it may be a simple thing. I think all of the lights and fan are working but no spark or current, at least that is what I was told. Naturally, I will know more when I get into it.

I figured that at some point, I will need the service manual even I can fix what is currently wrong with it - pun intended.

Thanks

buffalo

This may be obvious, but If you have panel lights but no arc/or current, could the trouble be in the torch assembly? Could you have moisture in the hose? Did you check your comsumables and general torch condition? Most of the newer PAC units will not fire if eveything under the nozzle isn't ship-shape, and it's fairly easy to bungle if one is in a hurry...

best-o-luck!

Reply to
utahparx

I'm getting in late.

Check the torch consumables. The consumable (center electrode) pushes back (just maybe) on a detent switch. So the torch doesn't fire without a source...

Won't deliver without air flow flowing. Coolant is needed.

Is your ground return attached to the work ? That is often forgotten - and I have cut without it - but not well - it using the safety ground as a sink.

Little things will keep a good man without electrons !

I have lights on my front panel - how about you. What is lit and not !?

Martin Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

buffalo wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Thanks, Utah.

It appears that the torch is okay.

No ready light as I was told upon purchase. I have the service manual coming.

Reply to
buffalo

Martin,

The torch APPEARS okay. I will check it with an ohmmeter.

The ready light is NOT on. I have the service manual coming Tuesday, hopefully.

I did blow out an obsolete Sharp S22MD2 that I cannot find. I will have to check with Miller on that.

Is your machine a 250D? If so, how do you like it?

Thanks.

buffalo