Great shop tip for us old farts

Well, I find myself more unstable on my feet now so I need to be careful! I have big "C"- clamps tightened on the edges and corners of my workbench and on shelving units and on other things like my drill press. So anywhere I walk in the shop there is a nearby handhold readily available. In some places I have clamped a short length of 2x4 in place. All this has saved me a tumble or two. sucks to get old and deteriorate!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Gotsk ta gitcherself a set of glittery pink training wheels/rolling baby walker, Tawm. Make 'em up right there in the shop. YeeeeHaw! Something simple like this:

Sure beats falling on hard shit. Condolences.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Glad you are still around!!!

Ignoramus9239

Tom's shop is too crowded for one of them A sky hook connected to his suspenders would work better - - - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

+1 Yes long time no hear'um :)
Reply to
Leon Fisk

Another good plan is to get one of those "I've fallen and I can't get up" devices. My mom had one and their response was really good. You push the button and they're on the line right away.

I don't think I need one yet, but in a couple of years...

Reply to
rangerssuck

re I walk in

aces I have

umble or two.

I'm there too these days. A few of my falls were me just not paying atten tion. I've had some face plants on concrete and haven't broke anything yet.

I recently came across this on some tip on getting back on your feet afte r a fall.

gray_wolf

I wonder if Don Foreman is still around or reads the group anymore.

Reply to
Waussie

I hafta get a walking stick. I'm thinking one of those collapsible ski pole looking types. I've had vertigo for over 30 years but it has gotten worse the last few years and I did a good face plant about a month ago. Eric

Reply to
etpm

There ya go. I remember seeing something like that in a movie once.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Dune? The chief bad guy, Baron Harkonen, had an anti-gravity levitation belt. Saved him from asassination. I don't think they have them at Walmart, though.

Reply to
Mike Spencer

here I walk in

places I have

tumble or two.

I need to look into a walking stick. I think I could maybe get up off the ground with it. I've had several face plants over the years and despite hearing the "crunch" sound I came out pretty good. Ken

Reply to
gray_wolf

Exactly! I cringed at that guy from the first second I saw him.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

re I walk in

aces I have

umble or two.

I first realized I had a problem when I couldn't get out of the bath tu b. I couldn't stand up. After a while I managed to slide sideways to the flo or. I saw some ads for these various type of 'shower handles'. They maybe be handy for other things too. I've just been showering these days but reall y there are times I'd like to soak. Did a google search for "shower wall ha ndle"

There are a ton of things out there that may be of help. The Strong Sucti on Cup things are about $10.

Reply to
gray_wolf

My back's out right now, and I'm hobbling around with a pair of those. The main issue is they need a rubber tip. The plastic cover for the carbide tip is not skid resistant. The carbide tip would be a little rough on the floors.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

At my local hardware store they sell rubber tips, like crutch tips, in several sizes. Some have pretty samll I.D.s and might work for you. Eric

Reply to
etpm

I can stand up OK except that I can lose balance on the way up. If I bend over too far I run the risk falling too. I'ts like the feedback loop in the balance center is working opposite. The harder I try to straighten up the faster I curl over. Sometimes my son looks at me and says my eyes are tracking back and forth rapidly. I don't even notice anymore unless it's really severe. Eric

Reply to
etpm

And can REALLY ruin your day when they let go right when you need them most - - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I installed dozens of grab bars for people over the past dozen years. They work well (when properly fastened) and cost as little as $8 a pop. Go to the store and pick out the diameter which feels best in your hand. They come in 1", 1-1/4", and 1-1/2" diameters. I prefer the 1-1/4" with knurled finish, myself, but I have very strong hands. Install them with at least two screws on each side into the vertical stud if your bath doesn't have blocking behind the wall covering. You are potentially betting your life on their strong support. For drilling tile, HF has a $10 set of carbide bits designed for it, and they work well.

61617 and 61618.

I would never recommend anyone using one of those. The chance of failure is high, with the things either slipping or coming entirely free of the surface. Too dangerous.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'm reminded of a couple older guys I know who fish bass tournaments. The installed a rail right down the center of their front deck so they could get from the driver's seat to front fishing pedestal more easily. I hear Dee Thomas from The Ca Delta (Made Flipping Known) did that to his boat too.

Reply to
Bob La Londe