Gun Art

I'm not going to take sides in the gun debate, but I know great art when I see it:

Caution, not for dial-up. 101 pictures of extraordinary firearms all on one page. The site may be blocked for some of you with parental or employer controls installed.

-Frank

Reply to
Frank J Warner

Whatever happened to Holland & Holland and Purdy? Do they still exist? Given the laws and attitudes in UK?

Reply to
Michael Koblic

Ok for some but I'd rather see holster wear.

Reply to
Buerste

I love the stuff where the case colors are left to show under the engraving...

Too much of it seems to be in a style an opera designer I once worked with called "Circus Wagon Baroque".

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

If you look closely, particularly at the H&H shotgun with the spot case-coloring, I think you'll see that the gun was engraved first, and then colored.

It looks like they used a torch and cyanide salts, rather than a bath. It's very nice.

Yeah. They didn't know when to stop. I'd be afraid to shoot some of them, with all of that deep, German-style engraving.

I really like the etching of the boars and other animals.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I would expect that engraving a case-hardened piece of steel would be difficult, at best.

Reply to
RBnDFW

Well, color case-hardening is decorative and not often really a serious hardening job. It typically doesn't have any significant effect on surface hardness. The depth of carbon penetration with most methods rarely is more than a few millionths to tens of millionths of an inch. It often isn't even quenched.

The old Stevens Favorite and Crackshot receivers were offered with a very nice (for mass production) color case hardening job at one time, and that was a bit thicker, but still only less than one tenth -- not enough to mean much.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Guns rendered useless for the most part.

I like guns that are likely to be used or carried.

Personal preference. The art part for me comes in the construction and design.

Different strokes for different folks.

Wes

Wes