Hand-held 20x measuring scope

I bought a Lee Lead hardness Testing kit to test the hardness of lead alloys I use for casting. My hardness tester at work won't go down that far. This
thing works by applying 60 pounds of force to a ball that indents the lead and then you use the 20x scope that has a scale from 0-.100" in .002" increments. You measure the width of the indent in the lead and look it up on a chart that tells you the Brinell hardness. This is also the "strength of the material in PSI. So, you adjust the pressure on the lead to 10% below the strength of the lead, but high enough pressure to get some plastic deformation.
Great tool! Everybody I've shown this to wants a scope. I haven't been able to find them separate from the kit, has anybody seen any available?
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumbers1364

That is a Micro-Mike pencil microscope made in the USA! http://www.micro-mike.com/Home_Page.html
You can find them several places incuding here: http://www.minerox.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID 16
On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 00:10:54 -0700, "anorton"

Thanks!!!
anorton wrote:

Neato, the look a little better constructed than the old Radio Shack 30 bangers (although the RS versions do have a light, which is handy).
Jon
Buerste wrote:

I made one of those about 35 years ago, back when I was casting and shooting competitively. I used a small magnifier with a reticle built in. It probably wasn't 20 power but it worked pretty well. Same kind of magnifier we used to measure the pellet hole distance from the X at turkey shoots. :-) ...lew...

What does Lee say? You _have_ asked them, haven't you? ;)
Rat Snack sells a 30x lighted pen scope, or did. Ca $30.
-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.

Lee has some spare parts for stuff listed on his website, might be you could get one there.
Edmund has a wide variety of pocket microscopes both in their gadget catalog and their optics one, some a lot cheaper than RS. If you need the measuring reticle, you can buy several Lee kits and still come out ahead, though. Kind of spendy from Edmund. Good, but spendy. www.sciplus.com has some pocket-sized specimens, too, no reticle. Lots of other goodies, some actually have metal involved, like gears.
Lee has a short article in his 2nd edition loading manual relating lead hardness to bullet velocity. If you haven't seen it, you need to if you're doing anything with cast bullets. A hardness tester is a good first step, next, you need a chronograph.
Stan

Fred Folwer will probably jump in here on this one. His outfit makes one of these also #52-662 020
See:
http://www.fvfowler.com/pdf/2304/2304_407.pdf
Enco used to handle these.
bob rgentry at oz dot net

I've thought of buying the Lee tester and comparing it to my Lead Bullet Technologies tester as a sanity check.
Have you looked at http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGEB8&PMCTLG