Harbor Freight Angle Grinder casualty

Well, it finally happened. I think my oldest most abused HF 4.5 inch angle grinder finally bit the big one. After countless hours of abuse, being dragged by its cord behind my welding truck, etc, today I dropped it while it was

*running*. It landed face down onto a concrete floor. I jerked the plug out of the wall to stop it dancing. Anyway, I picked it up, switched it off, and plugged it back in. When I switched it back on, it runs slowly and sounds like it is straining. I think the gearbox is trashed.

Oh well, I just unboxed another one that's been waiting on the shelf for this one to die, and back to work.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

I am very sorry, Gary! Did you give it a proper funeral?

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Yup I've been waiting for a similar occurrence with one of mine, I have two. Still going strong.

Reply to
Lane

I have used mine far more than I ever thought it would go.

Reply to
Wayne

Just don't make 'em like they used to, huh Gary?

Is that the one I've seen on sale at HF for about $9.95 or something like that? Ken.

Reply to
Anonymous

Reply to
turnitdown

It is the one that's usually on sale for $19,95. The "Drillmaster" one that's regularly on sale for $9.95 actually is a piece of crap.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

At our foundry we use Metabo grinders exclusively, 4", 6" and 9". Last week we were burglarized and the grinders were stolen. So now since we dont have the cash to replace all the Metabos we are using a 7" Chicago grinder from Harbor Freight. I have been using it for a couple of days now, and the only problem with it was a bad brush. The brush had a chunk missing out of it and under heavy load would start sparking real bad. I changed the brush and it seems to be doing ok so far.

I am curious to see what goes bad on it first, the gearbox or motor burning up. I also want to see just how long it lasts under every day heavy use.

Rick

Reply to
Tod Engine Foundation