Harbor Freight Pilgrimage

So now we have local HF stores. I visited for the first time yesterday to
acquire a hitch mounted cargo carrier for the purpose of transporting
carboys full of sulfuric acid and other cargo, such as propane tanks, that
shouldn't ride in the back of an SUV. Although I am currently trying to
reduce the amount of commercial/industrial tools and material in my back
yard, the 1 ton Gantry Crane looked mighty sweet :-) But I think I'll wait
and pour a concrete slab area in front of my shop first. Meanwhile I'm
filling a dumpster and loading a trailer with scrap metal...
Reply to
ATP
They're only 5 gallons each and I have two, but this is nasty stuff that you don't want spilling inside a vehicle, or even on a pickup truck bed. The smell would probably never leave even if it didn't eat through the deck. I also plan to use the cargo carrier to carry my wet kiteboarding gear...
Reply to
ATP
Not likely, it's for cesspool maintenance at my house. $20 per five, it's the same stuff the cesspool companies use.
Reply to
ATP
Just make sure that you have it well secured. You don't want the lawsuit if it comes adrift and the contents land in the convertible behind you.
Reply to
J. Clarke
Rochester, NY got their first HF stores, two or three years ago. Cram pack with Chinky junky, and everything goes on sale if you wait long enough.
For sulfuric acid, you gonna trust that on a low bidder Chinky trailer hitch? Or are you getting a good quality one? Like the other writer says. Tie it good, so you don't flip a carboy of sulfuric into the convertible that's tailgating you. Well, on the other hand......
.
So now we have local HF stores. I visited for the first time yesterday to acquire a hitch mounted cargo carrier for the purpose of transporting carboys full of sulfuric acid and other cargo, such as propane tanks, that shouldn't ride in the back of an SUV. Although I am currently trying to reduce the amount of commercial/industrial tools and material in my back yard, the 1 ton Gantry Crane looked mighty sweet :-) But I think I'll wait and pour a concrete slab area in front of my shop first. Meanwhile I'm filling a dumpster and loading a trailer with scrap metal...
Reply to
Stormin Mormon
David Lesher on Sun, 25 Mar 2012 18:19:13 +0000 (UTC) typed >
You mean, they won't take scrap for their crap?
Bummer ...
(Just kidding)
pyotr
Reply to
pyotr filipivich
Hey Stormin, I forgot you were in Rochester. I was just up there last Saturday to buy the South Bend shaper that was on Craigslist. The guy still has a Rockwell tool & cutter grinder that's in decent shape and an Induma knee mill. 3.5 hour drive each way from central PA up there.
Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET
It really depends on the item. Not everything is from China. They have some combination wrenches from India, grinding wheels from Russia. And some things from China are good. Most everything is worth the price they sell it for and a few things are worth more than the price. But you are right, a lot of what they sell is not what you really want for everyday use.
Do not buy the 4 1/2 inch wheels made in China for angle grinders. The ones from Taiwan are okay. The Russian ones were really good, but I can not find them anymore.
Dan
Reply to
dcaster
With the distances on this list, it's so rare to have a chance to meet in person. I'm sure it would have been fun to meet. As to having a home shop (don't have one), you'd be disappointed. I have a few tools, and a few memories of running a lathe in high school. I do a very little bit of machining with hand tools as needed to repair my vehicle, and sometimes a little bit of sheet metal work as needed.
I'm sure I'd learn a lot from you.
.
Hey Stormin, I forgot you were in Rochester. I was just up there last Saturday to buy the South Bend shaper that was on Craigslist. The guy still has a Rockwell tool & cutter grinder that's in decent shape and an Induma knee mill. 3.5 hour drive each way from central PA up there.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon
A year or so ago, a friend needed a 25 inch breaker bar. Sears had one for $50. The guy only needs it once a year or so, fixing his car. HF had one on sale for ten bucks that will do the job for occasional use.
Some things have their uses.
.
It really depends on the item. Not everything is from China. They have some combination wrenches from India, grinding wheels from Russia. And some things from China are good. Most everything is worth the price they sell it for and a few things are worth more than the price. But you are right, a lot of what they sell is not what you really want for everyday use.
Do not buy the 4 1/2 inch wheels made in China for angle grinders. The ones from Taiwan are okay. The Russian ones were really good, but I can not find them anymore.
Dan
Reply to
Stormin Mormon
they sell enough scrap metal as it is, they don;t need any more for trade in
remove NOT to reply
Reply to
not
I'm guessing that the Chinese send us merchandise on barges, and take scrap on the return trip. Easier to remelt US made scrap iron, than to mine and forge it from the ore. Just a guess.
.
they sell enough scrap metal as it is, they don;t need any more for trade in
remove NOT to reply
Reply to
Stormin Mormon
Chinese domestic steel production in 2010: 637 million tonnes.*
US ferrous scrap exports to China in 2010: 9.9 million tonnes.*
*
US scrap contribution is pretty much negligible (about 1.5%).
*
**

Spehro Pefhany
So much for that theory.
.
Chinese domestic steel production in 2010: 637 million tonnes.*
US ferrous scrap exports to China in 2010: 9.9 million tonnes.*
*
US scrap contribution is pretty much negligible (about 1.5%).
*
**

Stormin Mormon

Site Timeline