Utility Body Trailer-Update

I dragged home the utility body yesterday. Since the frame had been cut
off in front of the cab, leaving only frame sticking out for some
distance..it was a problem getting it home. So I took a piece of heavy L
steel, and an old ball hitch, along with my Lincoln Weldpack 100 mig and
a long extension cord. I welded the L steel under the frame (causing a
nice grass fire in the process..only realizing when I smelled my t shirt
on fire... then welded the hitch to the front of the L steel.
Making repeated passes, running the poor lil welder just as hot as it
would burn. I only had to go 1/4 mile, and put plenty of safety chains
in place..and unlike a certain spare tire carrier a couple years
ago..the lash up held just fine. In fact..after towing it home..I
walloped it with a sledge hammer..and it held after repeated blows of a
12lb sledge. So maybe Im getting a smidge better..or I used up some
Karma points..shrug...
Anyways...here are some pictures

Utility box itself is right at 7' long, by 6'6" wide, with an open
center of 48" (not counting bumper..which will get a big vise and a big
chain pipe vise mounted on it.
Since the frame has dual axles..there are two extenders into the open
box, that I really dont like. I cant lay a full sheet of anything 4'
wide inside, so may wind up cutting them out and welding in matching
metal. As you can see in Side1.jpg....the axle is plenty far back
behing CG and there is a decent amount of room under the wheel
wells..that I may lower it another 4-6". I can bounce on the
bumper..shocks are likely shot..shrug.
Ive also considered that the body is nearly a foot wider than my pickup
truck..and I really DONT need a 4x7 cargo area..and was considering
taking a plasma cutter and slicing down one side of the bed..removing
one whole box side, then taking out a full 12" of bed, then welding the
whole box side back on, making the trailer a full 1' narrower. I could
probably get away with removing the outside dualies then too.
Shrug..just a thought.
Any pluses or minus's to this idea? Other than of course..not being able
to move a 4x8 sheet of something laying down...which I really cant do
now..with those wheel well thingies sticking out.
Whoever mounted the bed on the truck was a metal butcher..really really
shitty job and needs to be redone at best. Fortunately I can bust it
loose and pick the whole thing up with the overhead crane and let it
hang while I either build a new trailer frame or redo what the original
nitwit did, and at the same time, lower it down a smidge. 56" to the top
of the bed..so while not too tall..taller than it really needs to be.
Looks to be about 12" of clearence above the tops of the tires to the
bottom of the boxes in the wheel wells. Though I dont know how much she
will squat when I load it up.
Any suggestions, comments, etc etc are more than welcome at this point.
Im open to better or different ways of turning this into a trailer..or
building a whole new trailer to drop it onto. The steel for a new
trailer is not a problem..a new axle..well..thats outside the budget at
the moment, unless I can scrounge one up. Probably a 5' axle would do it
if I went to single tires.
Gunner
14" tires.
"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist
Reply to
Gunner
One approach to 4 foot wide stuff and wheel-well-bumps which I have seen is to deck over the bed at the level of the top of the wheel-well, and either mount a huge sliding drawer (sounds expensive, but if the right scrap shows up, who knows) or simply store long things in there (so you can reach them from the back). The decking need not be solid or permanent - one approach is a few pockets on the sidewalls to hold two-by-fours at wheel-well-top level.
Reply to
Ecnerwal
Excellent Idea!
Gunner