Harbor Freight die grinder

Has anyone tried Harbor Freight electric die grinder:

Ignoramus6241

I have not used the electric one. I have used both their cheap and their more expensive air operated ones. The cheap one failed after a couple years of very light use. The more expensive one is still working fine. If you want I can get the number. I keep it in the original box in my air tools box. If you don't have air there is no point of course.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

There are no reviews for it here:

Michael A. Terrell

I have one & don't use it much. When I need a die grinder, the regular size is usually enough. You'd only need the big one for removing larger quantities of material. I've not had any need for the extra long nose.

As far as quality, I'd say it's in the same class as the 4-1/2" angle grinder.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Oh, great site! Well, great idea - I'll have to use it a bit to see if it's actually useful. I'll check its credibility by looking at the reviews of stuff that I already own.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I got one of those last year and I like mine. When I first got it, the front bearing got so hot I could barely hold it. Some of the guys here said to take it back right away and others said that they do that until they wear in. I figured it would be easier to justify a return if it failed, so I turned it on and left it run. Over time (I think about two or three 30 minute runs) the problem went away. The finish on the collett is a little on the rough side, but it functions.

I consider mine to be used lightly. I don't know how it would hold up in commercial use, but for what I do, it serves the pupose.

I use mine with a cutoff wheel. It's what I use to put the gash in end mills I resharpen on my surface grinder.

The current $40 is a better price. Last year they typically sold for $50 when not on sale and $40 on sale.

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

It is amazingly effective for the cost. For one application, I powered it with a variac, to get the speed way down.

Then when I tried my friend's die grinders made by Makita or Bosch, I envied the quiet, smooth operation. So now my blaze orange-yellow die grinder is tool of shame in my shop:(

Reply to
clarkmagnuson

I have and use both electric and air, plus a Foredom. My electric is a 14k rpm Makita. Each is good for different situations. The Makita cuts like butter, but it only has one speed. The others are better where variable speed is needed.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

yes, please post a number.

Reply to
Ignoramus27518

Thanks, guys. I want to use mine mostly for cleaning in hard to reach areas.

Reply to
Ignoramus27518

95029
Reply to