Jack to lift steam radiators

How much weight are we taling about? What is the working space between floor and bottom of radiator?

Reply to
Rex

How about a nylon strap and an engine hoist? Is there enough room for that? You may need to replace the wheels on your hoist with hard rubber ones to protect your floors.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

Borrow a forklift jack. My repair company has one with just a couple of inches.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Yes..its called a "pallet jack". If need be, you can mod the noses to get em lower.

Most of them are high enough off the floor to get a pallet jack under them and short pallet jacks are available. Ive seen 28" forks on some.

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

I work in an old building with steam radiators,it was a commercial building now residential.These radiators have to be moved or placed in an angle so they drain properly.They are heavy to move,is there a small jack that can fit under them so they can be moved or adjusted,a floor carjack is too big and it can damage the floors.Any ideas?My aching back can't take it any more.

Reply to
DamianJK

Pound shingles under and then cut the excess off once you have them pitched enough to drain without banging.

Reply to
beecrofter

How heavy? If they're the kind of radiators usually used for room heat, then a pair of automotive scissor jacks and a furniture dolly ought to do it.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Reply to
Mike Berger

I wouldnt use a car cissor jack. theres machinery removers foot jacks these go as low as 2in and will lift what ever height youll need. Altho if youve some help what about a piece of 2 by 4 as a lever and a fulcrum block of wood. your weight on a 6ft 3in piece with 3in overhang on the fulfrum will give you a 24 to 1 leverage. if you 200 lbs youll lift 4800lb. Cant be easier.

Reply to
ted frater

I want to thank all of you,pallet jack is a good idea but too heavy to climb four flights of stairs.The foot jack sound very good,I saw a few in eBAY for trailers with a little twinking that will do it. this is typical

DamianJK

Yes but too heavy to carry,and very expensive,you know how bosses are.

Reply to
DamianJK

Reply to
RoyJ

What you need is a vending machine mover.... Its very close to the floor and it raises up when you pull back on the handle,, Some vending machines are very very heavy.....

Reply to
kbeitz

As some bar staff found out here a few years ago when they tried to get free prizes out of one of those "pick up crane" units one night after closing time - one of them went to the morgue. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Hmmmmm..... Is there a Darwin award pending on that one?

Reply to
Jerry Foster

Enerpac makes a variety of hydraulic cylinders, it would be easy to pick one (and get a hand pump) to make any kind of jack you can describe. Low profile often means small stroke, but with a stack of boards and some ingenuity, a 1" stroke might be enough. They make a lifting wedge that goes to 16 tons, might be pricier than what you want...

(look at cylinder-pump sets)

I was quite satisfied with a variety of their products, available through stocking distributors.

Reply to
whit3rd

How to lift cast iron radiators:

Try A Johnson bar. There's one on ebay for 65 bucks. Or A high lift farm jack should be able to get it's lip under it.

Good Luck! H.R.

Reply to
harleyron

replying to Gunner, Spike wrote: Liberalism is more than that, it's a brainless, cowardly, and STUPID way of thinking!

Reply to
Spike