Has anyone played with turning bullets out of copper?

I've seen an article about a guy that was making .50 BMG bullets from Oilite bar on a CNC, left nice little smoky tracer trails when fired. The Varmint Grenades are made from a copper/tin alloy, I've used these, they don't foul as badly as an all-copper bullet would. The French used a bronze alloy for Balle D. Gilding metal would probably be ideal if you're wanting a solid, where you could get it, I have no idea, unless you're set up to cast bars yourself. Watch the bearing area and it might be a good thing if you could get some kind of chamber pressure measuring rig.
I've not had a yen to do this myself, there's few elephants around here and the buffalo they've got fenced off aren't hunted. So no real need for solids. Varmint Grenades take care of the small stuff, conventional jackets for the rest.
Stan

http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/rifle/banded-solids /
mentions copper zinc alloy.
Doug White

I was born and raised in Utah, where I had the good fortune to get to know P.O. Ackley on a personal basis.
In talking to him about making bullets, he commented that there's nothing any better than copper tubing for forming a jacket----so it's obvious to me that pure copper would work. The big problem, aside from its lack of weight, is the cost.
Harold