Heavy duty sewing shops?

I have a military M923 truck that I want to sell soon. This truck has a heavy vinyl "soft top" for the cab, which is supposed to be attached to a C shaped rubbery plastic strip that is used to hook it up to the cab.

I have both the top and the strip. At some point, they were sewn together, but the seam came apart. This is unsightly. I want to find some shop that can sew such thick and hard stuff together.

Does someone know what sort of business I should look for in yellow pages. I tried some searches and did not come up with much.

Ignoramus26083

Try looking for places that make awnings or tents. Another place would be automotive upholstery shops.

BobH

Reply to
BobH

Look for a place that does boat canvas or tent making. Also auto upholstery or leather work.

Reply to
Steve W.

Do you have a local canvas shop or a shoe repair shop?

MikeB

Reply to
BQ340

If you haven't figured it out yet, "Upholstery" is the common keyword. Auto upholstery shops generally do tops, as well. Not only will they have the equipment to do the job, but they'll have worked on convertible tops, too, and will understand what's going on.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Seek an upholstery shop or auto upholstery shop, Ig. They'll have walking-foot machines which can take thick, tough stuff.

Ditto a sail shop, but they'll probably want 3x the price for it, unless you find one really needing extra work in the winter...

Alternatively, buy a used walking-foot machine and give it to your wifey. Then help her do it. Remind her that she can make her own convertible tops, drapes, and upholstery covers with it, too! ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

OK, great, upholstery and shoe repair ought to do it. Thanks guys.

Ignoramus26083

Ignoramus26083 fired this volley in news:wtOdncljloKoQRrPnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

No, no! Go to an Awning Shop! They make _exactly_ what you're seeking to build.

They are not only equipped with the heavy-duty sewing equipment, but are prepared to handle HUGE swaths of material!

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

If only they were walking-foot, I'd come down and buy one, Gunner.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Do heavy trucks use tarpaulins to cover loads in your country? Maybe ask at a trucking company where the get them or get them repaired.

Or a sailmaker :-)

Reply to
John B.

Truck tarpaulin maker or repairer.

Reply to
Glenn B

Alas, they aren't walking-foot models.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Then you could repair your Judy blow-up doll yourself!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

You'd like them in high heels, wouldn't you?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

WOW! A brand new Toyota for $379, delivered! Alas, I don't need a

-new- one at the moment, even at that price. The glare guards aren't a hot selling item any more. I need to design one and start building them for tablets.

The $139 Morse + $39 s/h is a sweet price...

Nah, I'll need a new pressure washer first.

Reply to
Larry Jaques