Help Digital caliper Battery I need to know what battery

Tim:

You're absolutely right, but in addition to the extreme toxicity of some of the mercury compounds, it's also the extreme ignorance of much of the public that causes the trouble. Or, maybe it's just moderate ignorance and no common sense, as in "a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing".

With ricin in the headlines recently, I guess we should be prepared for panic concerning castor oil spillage inthe nurse's office or maybe even something to do with the husks from wild rice. (Ricin does sound like rice, so they must be connected.) And, to be safe, we should probably take a closer look at any other compounds with carbon, hydrogen, oxygen and, I think, nitrogen in them. After all, it's for the children.

Wasn't sure about the nitrogen, so I just looked ricin up in in my Handbook of Chemistry and Physics and a 1971 edition of The Condensed Chemical Dictionary. No formula in either, but TCCD does detail exactly how it is extracted from castor beans - using just sodium chloride and magnesium sulfate. Hope our government has the good sense to ban that book, and at least keep an eye on people buying those chemicals if they can't ban them outright.

Think maybe I'm getting a little nuts. Better climb down from the soapbox now and take my pills.

John Martin

Reply to
JMartin957

I shudder at the prospect of banning books. Information in itself is no threat to society -- indeed, information is the basis of our growth as a society and a race. Whenever someone suggests that we need to "ban" a book or certain information it is a clear indication that there's a problem elsewhere.

For example -- why ban information on making these toxins? Because there's obviously something wrong elsewhere in our society of there are people who would use such information for nefarious ends.

Perhaps, instead of banning books, we ought to look more closely at how well mental health services are funded; why some members of society might feel so alienated or angry that they'd resort to killing others; what unaddressed grievences these people might have, etc.

The act of banning anything (information, drugs, firearms, etc) is simply an attempt to try and suppress the symptoms of a bigger problem. You don't fix a ripped artery by simply wiping up the drips with a kleenex!

-- you can contact me via

Bruce Simpson

Wouldn't that be wonderful? If we started to care about others and how we, as a society, may be effecting one another. I really hope one day it will be like that. Right now, everyone is reacting out of fear. I use to read books and watch old movies about how this country became a police state. I now see it happening before my eyes. I can't tell you how much anxiety it creates in me. People, wake up! Look at what we are doing to each other because of fear! Look at what we are giving up because of fear!

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself!"

Kory

Reply to
Kory Hamzeh

In article , Tim Shoppa says... erous?" (Given how much I played with it as a kid. :-)

Here you are probably thinking of the Japanese fish event, where many people died.

I think that perhaps two or three individuals died from that compound. The first one was the technician who first synthysized it. The most recent was a lady at, if memory serves, Yale, who was the recipient of one drop on a latex-gloved hand (and here I am *always* harping on the concept that latex gloves are terrible as a protection barrier) and eventually did die.

Jim

jim rozen

Hence the expression "Mad as a Hatter"

And the Mad Hatter character in Alice in Wonderland (a.k.a. Through the Looking Glass.)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

And many were seriously affected, especially when exposed as babies. It destroyed their central nervous system. And yes, it was an organic mercury compound from industrial waste systematically dumped into Minamata Bay by a chemical company called Chisso, and ingested by people living in a fishing village called Minamata.

The story was broken by an American photojournalist named W. Eugene Smith. In keeping with the finer features of Japanese etiquette at the time, the company responded to his inquiries by hiring a large group of thugs who beat him almost to death.

The copyright for the second photo was reportedly given to Tomoko's parents by Smith's widow, and they now prohibit reproduction and display of it.

A fascinating story, and Smith was a fascinating man. He's got a book called Minamata you might be able to find at a library. I've also spent some time poring through his archives which are kept at the University of Arizona in Tucson.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Bruce:

My comment was intended sarcastically - maybe I should have added the smiley face. I share your feelings re: banning books.

Banning chemicals also. Would hate to do without table salt, but I might squeak by without the Epsom salts.

John Martin

Reply to
JMartin957

Consider how many people die every year from inhaling Hydrogen hydroxide.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

As long as we're talking about digital caliper batterys, I have a question. I have a 6" mitutoyo that I bought in 1995. It has always given me good service but for the last year or two if it's cold in my shop (40's) I get an error reading if i slide it too fast. I bought a new battery a month or two ago but it's doing it again. The battry is a v 357 and it's putting out 1.57 volts. I'm wondering if the battery is getting weak already or if I have some other problem? Engineman1

Reply to
Engineman1

No, they just seem to go wacky every once in a while. Take the battery out and short the battery contacts in the caliper with a piece of wire for a few seconds.

Don't know why it works, but it fixed mine.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Sounds like a hard reset when the battery is shorted out (without the battery).

I suspect the battery is getting cold and the internal resistance increases due to low activity of electrolyte.

I suspect a current surge is needed on higher speed and the current isn't there.

Maybe a 25 watt light bulb or maybe a 7 watt Christmas tree bulb that is on and inside of the tool box...

Martin

Reply to
Eastburn