Home Building Heat Treating Oven?

I was thinking about building a heat treating oven for knife making, etc. I thought about buying a portable air tank from Wal-Mart for $18, cutting off one end, and either lining it with refractory or insulating with ceramic fiber blanket. Then welding a hinge on the end that was cut off, insulating the "door" and installing some heating elements.

Any thoughts on this? Or better Ideas?

Thanks!

Reply to
Roger N

Hi Roger If you go this route why not just use and old propane tank and save the

18 bucks ? Ken Cutt
Reply to
Ken Cutt

Why not go to the builders yard and buy some breeze blocks to make an oven and just put gas ring or something in it.

Reply to
sniffer

The air tank that Wal Mart sells is a relatively small diameter but on the long side, I don't know the length & dia right off. I thought this would be ideal for knives. After the insulation / refractory, I would like to have inside dimensions around 4"-5" dia X ~ 20" or so deep. I'm thinking the ideal enclosure for what I want would be 8"-10" O.D. X 24"-30" long, round or square/rectangular.

Reply to
Roger N

Even simpler. By a small pottery kiln out of the newspaper. They are in our local rag every week. Usually about 150 bucks Plug it in and heat treat everything in sight.. Heck firing anything is pretty fun. If it isn't satisfactory (doubtful) sell it again and make a couple bucks

Reply to
dann mann

Hi Roger These dimensions sound pretty close to the air tanks on big trucks . Ask around my bet is you can get one of those for free out of a wrecked truck . Ken Cutt

Reply to
Ken Cutt

I've been watching for a kiln in the local papers, the only thing I found so far is one for that comes with a ceramic business for $1,500 (incl. 3000 molds). I had one years ago but sold it in tight times.

Reply to
Roger N

Do you have any school district auctions in your town? Schools seem to always be disposing of kilns. I picked up two on them one day for $5/ea at the local district auction. Gary Brady Austin, TX

Reply to
Gary Brady