vertical bandsaw question

I picked up a Walker Turner 14" bandsaw years ago and it has been a project ever since. I have done a lot of work on almost every part of the saw. I had never gotten it running but today I did and took a nice smooth quiet cut through some 3/8" steel plate. That's what I'm talkin' about ..

Anyway, this thing came without the little insert that goes in the hole in the table. It isn't too hard to figure out how to make the part that goes in there, but I'm wondering about the slot.

Many bandsaw blades are about .025" thick. How wide should the slot in the insert be? Also, I figure I'll wind up using a slitting saw to make the cut - does anyone have a good idea how to hold this part for slitting? It's a disc of steel about 2" in diameter and about 0.200" thick ..

Grant Erwin Kirkland, Washington

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Grant, I just went out and measured my WT 16", and the slot is .30 wide. Remember that many of thes saws are used to cut close radius with the 1/4" blades and they will indeed twist.

Gunner

"What do you call someone in possesion of all the facts? Paranoid.-William Burroughs

Reply to
Gunner

Every one of them that I've seen was all beat up from contour cuts anyway. Undoubtedly the easiest way to cut it would be to just use the bandsaw to cut the slot.

Reply to
Mike Graham

I am not familiar with the W/T bandsaw, but if the table tilts it will need room for the insert clearance when its tilted. Why could you not drill a hole at the innermost ppoint the blade will be, and then use the saw to make the two paralell cuts to finish off the slot.

\ >x->x-

-- Visit my website:

foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects. Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove capital A from chipmAkr for correct email address

Reply to
Roy Hauer

Tilting table - ah, yes. Good point, Roy.

I can of course do a freehand cut with a bandsaw, and of course it will work. But I want > I am not familiar with the W/T bandsaw, but if the table tilts it will

Reply to
Grant Erwin

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:21:32 -0400, Mike Graham wrote something ......and in reply I say!:

I have only used a BS for wood, but I tend to agree. The thing will undoubtedly get a bing or two from a blade within a very short time. Unless you cut very thin sheet, the tolerance of the insert slot is not that critical.

****************************************************************************************** Huh! Old age!. You may hate it, but let me tell you, you can't get by for long without it!

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music Please remove ns from my header address to reply via email !!

Reply to
Old Nick

I took Mike's advice and just cut a slot in it with the saw .. it doesn't look perfect but it works just fine. Important thing is now I have a working vertical bandsaw again!

Grant

Old Nick wrote:

without it!

Reply to