Homebrew coolant

Anyone know of a cheap homebrew water soluble coolant for general milling and turning?

Reply to
F Murtz

F Murtz fired this volley in news:yU6Ir.9058$% snipped-for-privacy@viwinnwfe01.internal.bigpond.com:

Same stuff the pros use. Peanut oil, synthetic oils, water, and detergents.

It's as inexpensive to buy the packaged coolants as to buy the materials to make them.

Just plain water works, too. Just not as well. It has little lubricity.

Spring for a gallon of coolant concentrate. It makes a LOT, and for an amateur will last a long time. If you're a "low milage" user, consider a full-synthetic to reduce spoilage in the sump.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

In Australia that would cost in excess of $50 I was just looking for something cheaper

Reply to
F Murtz

$50 for a 25 year supply... Pretty affordable.

Reply to
Pete C.

Water with borax, as in grocery store laundry supplies, work. The borax inhibits rusting - about 1 part per 100 of water by weight seems adequate.

1 part per thousand is inadequate.

Hul

F Murtz wrote:

Reply to
dbr

Has anyone tried the water pump lubricant sold at auto parts stores for people who don't run antifreeze and need the lubrication and corrosion protection? I've used Prestone brand in race cars, but never thought to try it as a soluble oil on a mill or lathe. Bout $6-8 a bottle that is supposed to treat 3-4 gallons of water in the radiator and engine, since you'll lose it pretty fast from evaporation and spattering I'd go at least twice that amount of water.

Water with borax, as in grocery store laundry supplies, work. The borax inhibits rusting - about 1 part per 100 of water by weight seems adequate.

1 part per thousand is inadequate.

Hul

F Murtz wrote:

Reply to
Carl Ijames

Only got ten years left and it is a waste leaving it to the offspring.

Reply to
F Murtz

better to leave them 1/2 gallon of coolant concentrate than the $50 still in the bank.

Reply to
Karl Townsend

F Murtz wrote in news:yU6Ir.9058$%E2.7655 @viwinnwfe01.internal.bigpond.com:

A freelance custom machinist I knew just kept a can of Crisco handy.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Doug White fired this volley in news:XnsA087461226AB0gwhitealummitedu@69.16.186.7: