Soluble coolant and freezing temp

I am worried about coolant freezing in my cold saw, accidentally.

This is northern Illinois, so temperatures of 0 to -5F are not uncommon. How can I make soluble oil (20 or 30:1 ratio) a little bit more freeze proof. Is there something that I can add to it, like ethylene glycol, without the risk of ruining the pump, seals, bearings, or anything else. My garage is attached, so it rarely gets below freezing, but when that happens, I do not want to be caught.

Reply to
Ignoramus13690

Put a fish tank heater in the tank. gary

Reply to
Gary Owens

and what about the liquid stuck in the pump itself?

Ignoramus13690

It freezes, expands and cracks the pump housing.

Obviously you have to install a permanent heater in the shop to keep things at a reasonable temp so you can work on projects all winter.

Reply to
Pete C.

I was hoping to find some anti-freezing agent, like ethylene glycol, that would be oil and seal friendly.

Reply to
Ignoramus13690

Do you even know if you have a problem yet?

Iggy, pull a sample of your coolant and pop it in the freezer. There's a decent chance that the soluble oil will drop the freezing point enough for you.

No point in solving a non-existent problem.

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

I thought your shop was attached to the house. Have you monitored how cold it gets in there? Is there a place in the base where you can stick a small light bulb for heat?

I don't remember what your saw looks like so my last comment may be useless.

Wes

Wes

At my old place, the shop got down to -30 inside. I had 50:50 ethelyne glycol:water coolant. Never had a problem with broken pumps, seals, etc. I did have a problem with working in those conditions

I bet 10% would be plenty for you. FWIW, I was just saving drainage from car radiators. Let it settle, skim off the clean stuff and add oil.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Seems like a great idea. I will definitely try.

Reply to
Ignoramus13690

The garage is attached and it very rarely goes below the freezing point. Maybe twice a year. Maybe, once would be when it is very cold outside, and another time would be when I leave the garage open for long, possibly accidentally. But even once is enough to ruin the cold saw's pump.

I am not too worried about water freezing in the sump. But I am worried about it freezing in the pump. Maybe I should do something to dry the pump after every use.

Reply to
Ignoramus13690

Ethylene glycol is cheap, propylene glycol (RV antifreeze) is also cheap. I have both home. I think that I will try to make a soluble solution with 30:1 oil and RV antifreeze instead of water. I will let it stand for a couple of days. Might even help with bacterias. I use that pink RV antifreeze in my TIG cooler.

Reply to
Ignoramus13690

Yes. Heat.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Seal and properly insulate the garage, Ig. The warmer temps in the garage will reduce heat loss from your living space.

If you feel that you don't have, or can't find the the time to do the job, consider the wasted time posting crap in RCM concerning various delegates and world events.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

It is already well sealed. Double walls with insulation between.

But if it only takes my wife or kid forgetting to close the garage door, to ruin my cold saw, then I do not feel adequately protected.

Reply to
Ignoramus13690
[ ... ]

Two bits of advice.

1) Don't put it directly in a rigid container -- even a soft plastic bottle, because of the chance of it freezing, breaking and possibly contaminating the food in the freezer.

So -- put it in a Ziploc baggie -- only about 1/4 full to give plenty of room for expansion.

2) Because some anti-freezes taste sweet, and have colors attractive to small kids (and maybe your coolant will as well) -- put the baggie in a child-proof cap container, which could be loose in a large pill bottle.

After all -- you have little kids to worry about.

For that matter -- label it so if your wife pulls it out, she will know what it is.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Get a door closer for a man-door, and/or an open sensor, and a repeating voice recording playing throughout the house;

Please close the bay door, Hal

Reply to
Wild_Bill

It sounds like the entire family is kind of stupid.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader