"freezing" views

This seems very basic but I haven't been able to figure out how it's accomplished (nor have any of my coworkers)... when in a sketch (or anywhere for that matter) how can you "freeze" or lock the view you are in to keep it from accidentally rotating a slight amount (with the middle mouse button, etc). We're using 2004.

Thanks!

Joa

Reply to
Joa

The only thing close that I can think of is that you can turn off the ability to drag parts in an assy. This is under Tools/Options/Assemblies.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

You can't freeze a view in the way you want to. Just gotta be more careful with the mouse. You can save views. Hit the spacebar when you get the view you want , hit the telescope (New View) button and name it. That way when you accidentally reorient your view you can easily restore it. You can also pin the view orientation dialog box so it doesn't go away.

Another method would be to simply hit Previous View (the button of the telescope with the left pointing arrow).

The last idea I can come up with is disable the middle mouse button for SolidWorks. Then you'd either have to use the toolbar buttons to manipulate the view or use a controller such as a SpaceBall or CadMan.

Reply to
Jeff N

It may be possible to create a rotation catcher that would rotate the view back to it's previous rotation but I can't quite figure out how to use ViewOrientation3 and ModelDoc2::ViewRotationUndo is CTD Solidworks.

I almost had it.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Corey,

It is easy to use the View>Modify>Previous View command by mapping it to a hotkey. I use it all of the time for when I accidentally rotate a little. I use the letter "B". I remember it by "Back one view". You can use it to go back as many as 10 previous views (rotates) in a row.

I just wish there was a "Next View" command. Sometimes I get a little happy and accidentally go "Back" one too many times. In that case there is no way to go "forward" other than manually.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

Yipper, this works great. Thanks for the suggestions folks!

Joa

Reply to
Joa