How to make very fine clock hands?

How did 18th century watch and clockmakers produce very fine steel hands?

Reply to
David Anderson

files, carefully applied. There was a link, or a series of posts a while back from someone going through clock making school - look for that link and you will find much of the answer

Reply to
william_b_noble

Do a web search on clocks and william smith. Mr smith is well know in this field and sells numorous books on clock making that are very well done. He is quite old now, so I recommend buying them while they are still available.

chuck

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood

Second that, Chuck! W.R. Smith is tops in his field. He is a master at making small parts in a lathe. In the mid 90's Home Shop Machinist ran a series of construction articles by Mr. Smith, detailing small lathe accessories. One of the accessories was "A Quick Release T - Rest for the Sherline Lathe". I built one of those. It is a top-notch piece of equipment! Sherline sells that same rest for around $200. Smith's book, "Clockmaking and Model Making Tools and Techniques" is also highly recommended.

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Go swing by alt.horology and ask those dudes. Some of them either do it, or still know how.

Reply to
B.B.

Reply to
NokNokMan

Mr. Smith sells reprints of his construction articles, condensed into a nice booklet. In fact at least one series was never completely published but his books are complete. Mr Smith even answers email!

I want one, but have not found the time to make it. I would buy it but sherline simplifed it a little to make it easier to manufacture and I'm not willing to compromise.

chuck

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood

Mr. Smith told me to use pallet strapping metal bands. you know those thin metal bands they use to hold things together for shipping. chuck

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood

Reply to
william_b_noble