Hydraulic hacksaw

I remember a hacksaw our local gunsmith had in his shop, shortly after the end of WWII. It was a regular hacksaw frame, clamped in a home-brew base and driven by a hydraulic ram. The "handle of the saw clamped into a pivot, so the far end could be raised, a machinist's vise was placed in the appropriate spot and the saw lowered to the work. The hydraulic ram pushed and pulled the saw across the work piece and the weight of the ram lowered the saw through the work. As the saw stroked "forward," it tripped a valve, which then reversed the stroke, which tripped a valve, which reversed the stroke, which...

Any ideas or comments, other than the cost for parts and fabbing it would cost more than a hobby bandsaw?

Pops armed_and snipped-for-privacy@technologist.com (remove the nitrous sulfide to email)

Reply to
ec Roberts

Typically the power hacksaws I have seen used a crankshaft arrangement as opposed to hydraulics, i would think hydraulic would be kinda slow, but I guess its possible.

Power hacksaws are not very popular since they cut much slower than a bandsaw. Also all of the cutting is done by few teeth, while a bandsaw all the teeth cut.

For hobby, gunsmith, and light commercial use its hard to beat the tawianese import 4x6 bandsaws that sell for under $200.

Reply to
Tony