I invented a new tool (maybe)

The other day I wanted to bend some 3/16 copper tubing to a 1/4" radius. I don't have a tubing bender so I turned down the end of an aluminum bar to 1/2" and I parted it off to a thickness of about .190". I laid the tube in my milling machine vise, placed the disk down on top and tightened the vise, then I bent the tube around the disk to the desired angle. The vise jaws kept the tube from flattening. one of the advantages is that disks can be quickly made to handle a wide range of radii and tube sizes. Has anyone heard of this before? Should I call a patent attorney? (8>0)

Engineman

Reply to
engineman1

It's too late for a patent, you already released the information on a public forum. Nice idea, though.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Reply to
Jim Sehr

As I understand it, He's got a year to file his patent in the US after publication. However - global rights can not be obtained.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

Sorry engineman, now you are infringing on MY invention!

:)

Richard

Reply to
Richard Lamb

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 18:03:24 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, Grant Erwin quickly quoth:

I've never bothered with patents, either. By the time you make enough profit to pay for the searches, filing fees, and the bloody attorney, someone will have knocked it off anyway. All patents do is allow you to spend more money defending them.

Engineman, just build and sell your inventions, QUICK!

- - - Brain cells come and brain cells go, but fat cells live forever. ---

See our NoteSHADES(tm) privacy/glare guards

Reply to
ljaques

I just checked my patent on the wall - (:-) - recalled it had 18 claims against it before grant. That is, 18 times I had to Defend my position and claims (a very complex 70 page patent) and educate the patent clerk in the progress. The only good thing in the claim fight - it set the stage and notified the competitors who was the He bull. It takes a team of attorneys - both locally and in Washington DC. Mine, also in Japan and Europe(Netherlands).

And thank goodness I didn't pay for it - didn't get the benefits of it either...

Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

snipped-for-privacy@diversify.com wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I am sorry if I am a latecomer to this thread and say something that was said already, but the fact thet he publicised his own idea does not utomatically make it not patentable. What is important is that the invention is original, and that is in no way harmed by publication. In fact, a documented publication makes it easier to claim authorship.

Ignoramus9292

I was thinking the same thing.

What better way to document something than putting it in the permanent Google archives?

Or course it can also get your idea stolen a lot easier, and also make it easier for unscrupulous individuals to study the best way to win a patent infringment case against you, or improve on *your* idea.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

Here also and didn't want to say anything cause there are many draw backs. I keep one going and will hold off on about 8 more in my head, but at least there is a deterrent. If you do it yourself it only costs about a grand for 4 years. The OP has a yr. to file, at least last I saw. Their are trying to change it to a world system so that it's first to file crap.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Since there are square corners in your "die", was there any distortion there? I.e., did the tube tend to expand into the corners?

Bob

Oh - nice idea, I've filed it for future use.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt