Angle Grinder Disk Stuck

I have a new Black and Decker "Firestarter" 4" angle grinder. I accidentally put the grinding disk on upside down (the protruding part facing toward the machine), and now I can't get it off. I've tried putting the wrench that came with it inside a piece of metal tubing, and turning. This only bent the tool. Any suggestions on how to remove the disk?

Reply to
js5302

Don't get insulted, but is there any possibility you've gotten disoriented and are "loosening it" in the wrong direction?

I really can't think of why putting the disk on bass ackwards would cause the securing nut to jam that hard.

I suppose if all else fails you could break away the disk and then chisel the parts still in the metal flange away. That ought to relieve the pressure on the clamping nut.

Jeff (Who's messed up "lefty loosey" a few times when approaching a fastener from an odd angle...)

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

And then there are those "lefty-tighty" ones to throw you even more off track. One or both of these seems like the problem (loosening wrong direction - may be aggravated by the direction being counter-intuitive)

Reply to
Ecnerwal

don't know that tool, but maybe it's LH thread?

Reply to
william_b_noble

The Craftsman I got for Christmas has an arrow showing rotation . Just be sure you're loosening in the direction of the arrow ... unless yours hasn't got one ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

On the larger grinders, it is better to keep a copper washer on the spindle to keep those 5/8_11 threads from bonding to the disks. The little ones don't seem to have as much torque, so I have not been using a washer.

I have seen fellas break the pin and/or the casting on the big ones trying to get a wheel off.

Is your problem disk the kind with its own threaded hub or the one where you trap the disk between 2 hard steel "washers"? Can you get to the hex or 2-hole "nut"?

I have been able to get some things like this loose by striking firmly with a hammer. If you try this method, you will not be able to reuse the disc. If you use this method, do not hammer against the detent pin, you will probably break it. Just try to get a few very firm and swift cracks at it to jar it loose. It probably got into this situation by spinning tight under power, and will require a substantial counter blow.

DanG

Oops, the name is "Firestorm". I'll try loosening the other way. It's the kind with the 2 hole nut. On reading the manual, I found out I also put the two hole nut on backwards.

Reply to
js5302

You can put the wheel into a vise (trash the wheel afterwards) and then try the wrench by hand and then a quick smack with a hammer...

Look at the threads and make sure you are turning the correct direction.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

grab the wheel in a vise and put a punch into the hole on the nut and hit with a hammer .a couple of blows should do it then throw out the grinding wheel

my makita sometimes locks up walter

Reply to
WGalcik

I don't know the exact tool you have, but something that I've done that works on occasion for certain items is to wrap a fan belt around the item, clamp the belt in a vise, and voila, a perfect strap wrench you can put some real leverage on. Of course, it helps to have a helper holding the main part in place.

Reply to
carl mciver

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 21:29:42 GMT, "carl mciver" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

........reverse connect the motor turn on the angle grinder!!!!

THAT WAS A JOKE OK?

Reply to
Old Nick

I thought Firestarter was a pretty good name for an angle grinder. Maybe you should suggest it to B&D.

Steve

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Steve Smith

Certain Metabo grinders (with the yellow spindle lock button) do not require a wrench to change the wheel. You simple allow the wheel to spin down until it almost stops and then press the spindle lock. This loosens the nut which you can remove by hand once everything has stopped.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 12:19:24 -0500, "Robin S." vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Is that _recommended_?

Reply to
Old Nick

I dunno where my wrench is.

if you don't use it to gronk the damn thing on they come right off.

and not in use

ever

Old Nick wrote:

Reply to
yourname

Yes. If you get the one with the black spindle lock button, you have to use a wrench. If it's yellow, you don't need a wrench.

See:

Near the bottom of the second page (it is labled as page 69 as it is an excerpt from a larger catalog).

Mind you, these grinders aren't exactly cheap. Many people would know Metabo as Walter (Walter is made by Metabo).

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 23:10:38 -0500, "Robin S." vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

OK. I have the black button.

Reply to
Old Nick