unglaze/dress angle grinder disks

Hi everyone

Is there a way to dress angle-grinder disks? Get rid of glaze and bring new sharp grains to the fore?

Or are there different angle-grinder disks to chose?

I'm finding that when do a lot of large-area side-grinding, like when bevelling a pipe for practicing pipe-welding, the grains go blunt and don't renew - would be good if could restore cutting rate of a new disk

Then when cleaning shipyard plate you are also clogging with zinc (?) from the grey primer - also doing a lot of big contact-area side-grinding.

I know about dressing grindstones - wish there was the same for disks to keep them sharp.

Richard Smith

Reply to
Richard Smith

I occasionally run them up against a sharp edge on a piece of scrap - helps a bit.

Cheers,

John B.

Reply to
john B.

"Richard Smith" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@Richard-Smiths-Computer.local...

Try disks intended for aluminum. They don't last as long but are much freer cutting being softer and more friable. They won't plug up as bad and glaze over.

Reply to
Phil Kangas

Today I took back to Harbor Freight a box of 4 1/2 inch disks made in Taiwan. They were useless. They glazed up practically instantly. Just a heads up to people to keep their sales receipts if they buy angle grinder disks. Maybe if enough people complain they will change vendors.

Harbor Freight was selling disks made in Russia that were excellent.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I do not think you will find any of the Russian ones. if you buy any made in Taiwan be sure to save your sales receipt. You will be wanting to take them back for credit.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I bought some Russian made cut off wheels in Seattle a couple years back and then bought some more on the East coast more recently. But the local store no longer carries any. So I think Harbor Freight did a one time deal on the Russian abrasives.

Even longer ago Harbor Freight had some Russian made telescopes that were excellent. But alas no more.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I did some searching on the internet and found that Carborundum is buying Volzhsky Abrasives Works. And generally looked at the company Carborundum including trying to find a place where I could just walk in and buy a disk or two to try. No luck with that.

But thought i would see if anyone here has used Carborundum Company angle grinder disks. And see if they thought they are good. Or does anyone have a source for angle grinder disks that they think are good value.

My opinion of the Harbor Freight 4.5 inch disks made in Taiwan is they are worthless. Cheap but work so poorly that they are expensive in terms of your time. I bought one of the 4.5 inch disks made in China. The ones with the threaded hole. Will post results after I have tried it.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Dan

Works well. Grinds metal off quickly and does not wear rapidly. Compared to a Metabo disk, it may be a little faster, but the finish is definitely not as smooth.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Works well. Grinds metal off quickly and does not wear rapidly. Compared to a Metabo disk, it may be a little faster, but the finish is definitely not as smooth.

Dan

Have you tried disks made by Sait? Made in U.S.A. by United Abrasives Inc.

Reply to
Phil Kangas

How do you chose disks for:

faster grinding rate

smoother finish

I want the:

faster rate for 9inch angle-grinder

very smooth finish for 4inch air-powered angle-grinder - use with disk about 1/8th-inch (3mm) thick for fine shape-blending and searching for surface-breaking cracks and defects

Are there standards of grit size, hardness of bond, etc, etc by which you can specify a disk? As in - if you knew what to order, you could get say a pack of 10 from your regular supplier.

Richard Smith

Reply to
Richard Smith

Phil Kangas

I have. But it has been a while and I do not remember exactly which Sait disks I tried.

I looked into getting some Carborundum disks. I contacted the sales office and found there is no one selling them close to me. I found this place on the Web, but so far have not ordered any. Decent prices, but mail order runs the cost back up.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

snipped-for-privacy@s2g2000vbw.googlegroups.com...

coarse abrasive

fine abrasive

Cut-off and depressed center wheels for angle grinders do not come with an equivalent of the bond hardness and grain spacing rating system for tool grinding wheels, but better manufacturers do publish selection information. I am partial to Norton, which has a PDF catalog with selection info available from their document center:

select product category 'cut-off wheels' or 'depressed center wheels', both get you the same catalog section with both wheel types. They also have an e-catalog of abrasives for welding and metal fabrication from their home page, which might work for you.

IMO it is worth shelling out a few extra bucks for quality wheels like the NorZon Plus; the reduction both in grinding time and wheel changes is worth it.

If you use the right wheel for the job with the right pressure and speed they should not glaze at all and only need dressing if you need to change the edge shape such as bevel to get into a corner. A standard silicon carbide wheel dressing stick works well for that.

Do not use any wheel not specifically rated for aluminum on aluminum or any other soft non-ferrous metal; they can load up and fracture.

Reply to
Glen Walpert