IGGY - Pocket Drilling

Yes.

Via wire. I wired my whole house with Ethernet some time ago. I use wireless only for laptops.

What is your card?

I can probably find a card that should work great out of the box (most PCi cards should, anyway). I have not yet looked into your particular card.

Ignoramus478

In addition, my CNC control computer is placed INSIDE a steel cabinet (the same cabinet that came with the mill), and there is no way a wifi signal could get out of there. :-)

Ignoramus478

While this is very educational and I sometimes crimp cables (as I did when I wired our house for Ethernet), it is much easier to buy a standard size cable on Newegg. And it will be Cat5E or Cat6 at least.

Ignoramus478

Can you post results of lspci?

Someone said: ``The LInksys WMP11 contains a BCM4301 chip.''

If so, this is similar to what my old laptop has. It should be straightforward to make it work.

Do this

sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter sudo /usr/share/bcm43xx-fwcutter/install_bcm43xx_firmware.sh

Then after this your network manager should be able to see your card.

Sure, but electrical noise and reliability are still issues.

Post results of lspci, you should be able to make it work.

I will help you.

Ignoramus478

Der.... need my glasses...

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Or you can do as I do..and use USB cable and a USB wifi device.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

If this is a Broadcom 43** chipset, you should be golden.

Definitely install Ubuntu 10.04 based EMC:

Make sure to apply all system updates.

I not only use my PC on the mill for milling, but also for browsing the web, reading USENET, and playing music or any other purpose.

Ignoramus20659

Ok, thanks! Going to go ahead and do the full install of Unbuntu, reinstall the card, and I'll let you know what I get. I'm not going to jump through too many hoops though as the wireless setup is only temporary while I've got the computer upstairs. Soon as I start to hook it up to the mill, I'll run cable.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Try Monoprice for premade cables.

(watchout for line wrap) 100foot, your choice of color, $ 8.88 each.

technomaNge

Reply to
Comrade technomaNge

Oh, yes, they are great. I actually need to buy a few proper length network cables for my Bridgeport mill. Very timely, I forgot about them. Thanks

Ignoramus20659

[ ... ]

Well ... he *did* express some uncertainty as to whether he had a cable which was long enough. ("I think I have one long enough.") If it turned out to be at the limits of commercially available cables, I thought that he might consider making one to fit. And it is a little easier to drill a hole just large enough for the cable without connector to squeeze through and crimp the connectors on the end once threaded through.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I appreciate the suggestion, but I'll spend 20 minutes clearing the bench downstairs before buying a one-shot tool when there's alternatives. I can get Cat5 cable couplers for a couple bucks.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

O.K. For me, it is not a one-shot tool. I make custom cables all the time -- matched to the length needed -- from very short to very long -- along with occasional crossover cables.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I prefer factory made to homemade, though I do crimp my own cables, like when I wired my house.

Ignoramus12523

On this point, I'll disagree with my friend Don.

Buy a cable. They are far cheaper than you'd think, and FAR more reliable. I used to make my own but...

If you need a cable from A to B; use 2 faceplaces, 2 keystones,

2 patch cables, and a spool of CAT-5. You *can* put the keystones on reliably.
Reply to
David Lesher

I have never experienced that from a cheap crimper, but I do cabling for a living so what I think of as a cheap crimper may not be what you think of as a cheap crimper. I have seen issues from not getting the right RJ-45 connector for the cable. The difference between those for round vs flat cable are minor compared to getting the right one for stranded VS solid wire. A stranded wire one will spear the conductor, while one for solid wire will have offset points that skin the wire. It's a pain to order them too. Most vendors just want to sell you what they have.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

And a lot of them don't know which type they have.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell