Impact wrench (air) repair

Since the composition of MMO is a trade secret; you have absolutely no way to validate your claim above.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

There's an MSDS for Marvel Mystery Oil that says that the boiling point is 172C. The MSDS for Dexron says that the boiling point is above 315C. So clearly there's _some_ difference.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Larry Jaques fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Noooo... Air oil (AKA hydraulic oil).

MMO has always been only about three times the cost of the ATF in the can.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"J. Clarke" fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@hamster.jcbsbsdomain.local:

Yeah... they add a low-fraction solvent to reduce the viscosity and "stretch" the expensive ATF.

Look... For whatever other uses, MMO was originally marketed as a "Top end oil" for pouring down a carburetor to solve sticky-lifter syndrome. That particular use is long obsolete, but still the product sells.

When I was younger, and all cars were carbureted, we used MMO and ATF interchangably for the sticky lifter problem, and both worked equally well.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Hayseuss Crisco. Do the math. That prices _ATF_ at $26.67 a quart, Lloyd. And I've never seen MMO for $80 a quart, that's certain.

I last bought a quart of MMO for $4.49 or so, last year, and I thought that was a lousy price. I think the pint was $3.95.

-- Truth loves to go naked. --Dr. Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732

Reply to
Larry Jaques

And a scent, which I love.

The high detergent of both was bad for really dirty crankcases. I saw a 1" chunk of grease come off the inside of an engine from running that. They pulled it down when the oil didn't "make it all better." It looked like the owner had added oil but never changed it.

-- Truth loves to go naked. --Dr. Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I knew a guy that used MMO on Commodore 1541 floppy disk drive motors and bragged that he only had to use it every six months. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Larry Jaques fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Lord! What math did you use? IF ATF is $4.00 a quart, then MMO would be $12.00. Where did you get those wild numbers?

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Wasn't it you who said they paid $5 for 2 ounces of MMO? You snipped my reference from that post. Go back a couple posts and you'll see.

-- Truth loves to go naked. --Dr. Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

No... $5.00 for 2 ounces of "special air tool oil".

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Something about $2.50 an ounce - wherever that came from.

Reply to
clare

Cambell Hausfeld air tool oil in 8 oz bottle from Canadian tire is $4.19 Home Despot sells their Husky brand for $4.49 on-line for 8 oz.

KleenFlo also sells air tool oil -at $44.90 for 4 liters from Acklands Grainger - and for interest's sake, the MSDS on that product indicates a boiling point of over 129C and a flashpoint of 69c. SG of

0.84, Contains 1% Zinc C1-C14 alkyldithiophosphates, 60-100% Hydrotreated petroleum oil, and 1-10% of both Naphthenic Oil and Hydrocarbon Distillate.

Toolstore sells 20 oz of air tool oil (Bostich) for 7.99 Home Hardware sells the TopRing product in half liters for about $5. Busy Bee sells 8 0z of Porter Cable air tool oil for $4.99. CP Protectolube is sold in 591ml containers for $7.99 by KMS.

All CANADIAN prices, which are generally about 30% higher than Yankee prices.

Reply to
clare

Because if you put oil in immediately before use, you will spray oil film on the surface of your work. You can oil the DA, but run it without being anywhere near your sanding surface, and make sure it is no longer spitting any out when you use it.

Reply to
azjohn

er and all you get is air out of the exhaust. No rotation.

r flow to wherever? I'm generally good at fixing things but I've never bee n inside an air tool.

. 9 years with maybe changing two or three sets of wheels per year.

I tried all the methods on the group. First I turned the rachet about 10 t imes in both directions, then I put some MMO into the air port. It fired up on the first try and runs great. This tool has never been used so I guess it was just stuck from being idle. Great posts saved me a trip to the suppl ier to only have them do exactly what I did. Thanks to everyone who answere d Ivan. Helped a lot!

Reply to
penumbra75

Any one ever try Kroil by Kano Lab. Good stuff.

Reply to
Sidney

It takes me decades to go through a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil. It's likely just ATF glorified with additives, but I love the unique smell, too.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

MMO is what Chicago Pneumatic ships as air tool oil. It's basically a mineral oil with stoddard solvent along with a couple types of dichlorobenzene to dissolve carbon and varnish. If you ever tear apart a high speed air motor, take a look at the vanes. Most will have carbonized oil on them because of the friction between the bore and the vanes.

Reply to
Steve W.

I had the same thing happening with mine, just did the ATF load and I think I got it! The interwebs are sooo useful. Thanks to all who contributed.

Reply to
ahaas0228