indexing spin fixtures

Has anyone bought one of those spin fixtures that use 5C collets I keep seeing on ebay for 30 bucks? Are they a piece of crap or not?

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

I have a Phase II spin index that seems to me to work great. Only caveat I have is that I can't get the spin locking nut tight enough with my fingers so in use I always clamp on 10" Vise-Grips. One quick half-twist, and it's tight, another and it's open.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Hey Wes,

Guess it depends on what you plan to do with it, and your definition of "crap". I've got one that with a few simple mods makes things I want OK. But then I don't work for Harold V, or for NASA, so maybe my "needs" are pretty simple and my expectations lower than most.

Mine is a knock-off of a clone ( ie knock-off of a Phase II ), but it allows me to turn round thingy stuff with the surface grinder, and position flats where I want them, That sort of thing. And like most all the stuff from across the western waters, I seem to say "How the hell can they make that stuff, ship it here, and somebody sells it and makes a profit, and all for $BLANK-BLANK-BLANK price!! (You fill in the BLANKS)

I'd buy one for 30 bucks. Even if you do something else with it, it's worth it.

Take care.

Brian Laws>Has anyone bought one of those spin fixtures that use 5C collets I

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Reply to
David Billington

======================= It has happened several time that I priced the material [HR/CR steel] to make something and found out that just the material would cost more than I could buy the complete "whatever" for.

One limitation on the Spindex type tools is that you are limited to 1 degree increments, which is adequate for most applictions.

Unka George (George McDuffee) ............................. I sincerely believe . . . banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale. Thomas Jefferson (1743?1826), U.S. president. Letter, 28 May 1816, to political philosopher and Senator John Taylor

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

That situation occurs daily in machine shops all across the US. An RFQ will come in, with the originator already knowing that they are going to buy that gizmo from China.

An example...a friend did a quote on turning a simple gage bezel from bar stock, drilling and tapping 3 holes and polishing.

He quoted it, with materials for $5 each. A very fair price, based on the part, material cost etc..working out to about $65 an hour for shop/machine time/setup/labor/materials.

The buyer continued to buy them from China for $.75 each . Materials cost alone was $.97 here in the States per part

Oddly enough though...he is getting the job. Seems the Chinese cannot polish them properly or position the holes properly. Rejection rates are running about 90%.

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right before demode` (out of fashion).

-Buddy Jordan 2001

Reply to
Gunner

Imagine that!

"You want it fast, accurate, cheap - pick two"

Reply to
Rex B

Maybe he should try Hungary. Slightly higher wages but bought more recent CNC machines :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I tend to like Polish tools when shopping low price hoping for quality.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

Enco has the one I bought for 29 dollars

have gotten good use from it. I made a gear with it.

Bill Cotton