Injection Pump Progress

We borrowed the special tools from a local Cat dealer who hasn't even used some of 'em--they just send the pumps out for calibration. This was my first encounter with cosmoline. I officially hate that crap. Anyway, I pulled all of the pump units--each one siezed solid except one that was snapped--it probably happened when we tried to crank the engine. Soaking all of the units in B12 (along with an extra from another pump to the replace the broken unit) for a day got the varnish soft enough to pull the units apart without much force and a rubdown by hand in a bucket of diesel got everything nice and clean again without any score marks. Yay! The B12 looks like mud now and the diesel looks almost as bad. Everybody got a final rinse with fresh diesel for good measure. Thank you for advice unsticking these! I have to clean out the pump housing a bit--some paint flakes got in there. Then I can calibrate it. It should be ready to run Thursday if nothing else comes up.

Reply to
B.B.

Class was cancelled Thursday, but we cranked it up today. Ran like a champ, but idled a little high so for a few seconds we all thought it was trying to run away. Once we let it slow down and adjusted the idle it ran nicely except for one cylinder with a dribbly injector. Killing that cylinder causes the engine to settle down and run nice and smooth. We're currently hunting down a new injector.

Reply to
B.B.