Favourite 12L14 - Was turning threads

Gentelman,
Continuing our theme. I was searching for 12L14 alloy equivalent in 10
years old catalog. No hits. Today I've found a new book with
materials' cards and voila:
12L14 =~ 11SMnPb30 known for its lack of thermal hardening.
Few pages further and we have 36SnMnPb28. This is some change in
carbon (0,36%) but now it can be austenitized! The problem is that the
hardness written was ~100 HB =~ 10 HRC - the same as our 2H13 (0,2C
13% Cr, ~X20Cr12) stainless steel. This is quite small value so that I
think this steel can't be hardened using Martensite structure. Correct
me if I am wrong.
My question is do you know or use such steel with lead (superb for
turning) which can be hardened?
Cheers,
Jack Zagaja - photographer, designer, programmer
free photoshop plugins, photographic assistance
opinions and much more ... snipped-for-privacy@poczta.onet.pl
Reply to
Jacek Zagaja
Can't it be case-hardened? - GWE
Reply to
Grant Erwin
I don't think so. I wonder about bending durability. However carbonized steel needs some sort of thermal hardening too so ?
jz :)
Reply to
Jacek Zagaja
12L14 can be case hardened quite nicely.
Tony
"Jacek Zagaja" materials' cards and voila:
Reply to
Tony
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:56:46 +0200, Jacek Zagaja materials' cards and voila:
Greetings Jack, I don't know of a 12L14 steel that can be anything but case hardened. But, 41L40 machines nicely and can be hardened. It does not machine as easily as 12L14, (also known as "dark aluminum"), or get quite as good a finish, but is a lot easier that 4140 without the L. I make lots of parts from it. BTW, I'm not sure 12L14 still has lead in it. I was reading a couple years back about a different alloy that machined the same but used something besides lead or sulfur to make it free machining. It was supposed to machine exactly like 12L14. Cheers, Eric
Reply to
Eric R Snow
I was under the impression that lead was no longer used in "L" alloys, but I can't state that as a fact
I am running 50 pc production job now, adapter fittings from 2-1/4 hex 12L15, beautiful finishes
Reply to
Jon Grimm
most of the leaded steels are being replaced with tin, seems to work just as well
Reply to
williamhenry
1144 machines really nicely and should be hardenable, if you need hardness, but it's already at around 125KSI in the as-rolled state so it's plenty strong. No lead.
Dan
Reply to
Dan Thomas
Annealed 41L40 machines nicely and responds to heat treating in a similar manner to regular 4140.
Randy
"Jacek Zagaja" materials' cards and voila:
Reply to
Randal O'Brian
Dan,
Aha - sulfur can be used instead. Good. Do you chave chemistry info about 125KSI? Still lost in symbols :) ______________________________________________________________________
Jack Zagaja - photographer, designer, programmer free photoshop plugins, photographic assistance opinions and much more ... snipped-for-privacy@poczta.onet.pl
Reply to
Jacek Zagaja
I rather think that when he wrote "125KSI" he meant 125,000 pounds per square inch, not a grade of steel. Thus a 1" square bar of 1144 steel would fail in tension at 125,000 pounds. If I'm not wrong, which I often am.
GWE
Reply to
Grant Erwin
Hi there Grant,
Heh :) you're right this is some Rm = 860 MPa steel with Mn and sulfur for fine turning. Everything's fine but now much harder to find such seller who sells small rods and is located in home city. Surprisingly only few sells small sections (1m) :/
jz.
Reply to
Jacek Zagaja