12L14

Is 12L14 steel weldable?

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 18:24:23 -0700, Grant Erwin
Not recommended by any of the steel manufacturers I've got books for.
On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 18:24:23 -0700, Grant Erwin
I often make adjustable brackets and other stuff out of split clamp shaft collars, which are usually 12L14. And while I've never had a weld break, you can sometimes see what appear to be small cracks in the weld, especially near the ends of a bead. I usually TIG with 308SS or inconel.
So while 12L14 is not generally considered weldable, I'd say you can usually get away with it for non-critical, lightly stressed joints.
Ned Simmons
snipped-for-privacy@nedsim.com wrote:

I'll second that opinion. I've done it too. Non-critical applications being the qualifier.
Jon
On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 19:28:29 -0700, Jon Anderson

Me three.
I did have a piece blow out after loading it beyond what it should have been loaded to,
Gunner
This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

I have, it didn't look pretty. I want to make some split collars that are joined at right angles to each other for a clamping system as described on this list, I'm going to silver solder them together.
Wes