Is there an econmical tabletop Waterjet Cutter

I am looking for an economical tabletop waterjet cutter to cut sheets of metal. The accuracy is not critical, but standard cutting methods give a jagged edge.

I know that economical is relative, but I am looking for advice on where to find a smaller cutter.

Thanks in advance, Dave

Reply to
dsarvela

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 09:02:25 -0500, "dsarvela" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!: remove ns from my header address to reply via email

???????????????????

Sometimes in a workplace you find snot on the wall of the toilet cubicles. You feel "What sort of twisted child would do this?"....the internet seems full of them. It's very sad

Reply to
Old Nick

To the best of my knowlege...there is NO machine that fits your requirements. IE..there are no tabletop water jets, and standard small ones start off at $50,000 and go upwards. The smallest water jet Ive seen to date, has the footprint of a bar sized pool table and they get bigger from there.

Gunner

"A vote for Kerry is a de facto vote for bin Laden." Strider

Reply to
Gunner

Reply to
SimonShabtai Evan

---------------------------------------------------- Check out the web sites for water jet cutters. They start out in 50 HP,

40,000 psi and $200,000 price range so I don't think a home made table top unit in practical. However, I had a job shop cut out 100 pcs 4 x 3" for $50. I supplied the CAD dwg. and the 10 ga. steel, but that was 12 years ago.

Donald Warner

Don't let the facts interfere with your prejudices

Donald

At a local hamfest this weekend, I spotted a gizmo that appeared to be a small X-Y table with a couple of Mitutoyo .0001" mic heads on it, and the seller was muttering something about "there's the tube" in a very difficult to understand version of English. When I asked how much, he replied 1 thousand and I suddenly wasn't interested.

He also had a pump with some high pressure stainless tubing and fixtures, gauges, filters and stuff.

I wandered away and he approached me to make him an offer, but I explained I didn't know what it was, and that I was just curious. In his version of English he explained that it was for precisely cutting materials, even diamond.

I concluded that it was some sort of water jet, but wasn't really sure how much of the setup was present. I was fairly certain that it was expensive stuff because of the overall use of stainless.

You just never know what you'll encounter at a hamfest, I'm always impressed by all of the never seen before-by me things that are at these events.

WB ..........

Reply to
Wild Bill

Dave,

If you just need a little bit of work done for you, then check out the job shop listings at

or
If you are serious about buying, then maybe you can find a used OMAX

2626 machine, which has a cutting area of about 26" x 26". New, the machines go for about $80,000 with everything you need to actually make parts (installation, training, controller, pump, xy system, abrasive, etc.) Used, maybe you could find one for cheaper, but right now the economy has just picked up, making used machines a rare item to find. (In fact, you may even find you have to get on waiting lists for new equipment.)

See:

for more info on the above mentioned waterjet.

Rental units are also available, along with traditional financing, etc. I don't know what it costs to do this, though.

Really cheap waterjets (

Reply to
Carl Olsen

Reply to
dsarvela

Dave,

For used waterjets, I would start by contacting the makers of waterjets, since they often get them on trade-ins, or they have lab or demo machines to sell. That way you can also get warantee, support, training, etc. I work at OMAX, and I know that we get a couple trade-ins from various brands, and often have at least one or two used machines available. (see

Be sure to read the following article on buying used waterjets:

Another place is Richel:

They usually have quite a few.

I have also seen a few on E-Bay on occasion. Buyer beware, though. If you are a first time buyer, make damn sure you get full support and training! Also, beware of ancient technology, as waterjets are kind of like computers in that the ones from just a few years ago are significantly different than what's available today. (Though not to such a degree as computers!)

Carl.

Reply to
Carl Olsen

Actually, I came across a used waterjet today. I don't have any idea how big it is, or what they want for it. Don't ask me any questions, as I don't know any answers.

Here's the number:

603-742-3703

It is near Rochester, New Hampshire. Please mention my name if you call about it (I don't have any connection to them, just brownie points).

Steve Smith

Carl Olsen wrote:

Reply to
Steve Smith