I moved into my house in 1971, and bought (for $15.00) the used late1960s vintage GE washer that was there at the time. I stuck it down in the basement, and simply connected its outflow hose to the end of the sewer line. It worked fine, pumping to a 6 foot head, but as the the hoses began to age, the water that sluiced back into the washer after each load carried with it quite a bit of black residue from the rubber hoses. About 8 years ago, I stuck an old oil drum behind the machine with a sump pump in it, and connected it to the end of the sewer line. It works better than before - so much better that I wished I'd done it in the first place. And, yes, that washer is still in fine shape, cranking load after load. I did have to replace the timer about 15 years ago, but otherwise, I think I've gotten my 15 bucks out of that machine. Maybe someday I'll have to replace the hoses. Wouldn't want to rush things, though. . .
18 years ago