Large shaper

Yea, they are boat anchors to most but I hate to see a good tool hit the scrap heap.

large 32" shaper in Warden WA. Probably priced about scrap iron value. 10 hp...can't remember the brand but think it was "G&E" (not giddings and lewis). No vice but the table is so large that I doubt it was vice oriented in the first place.

Probably saw VERY light use at it's current location. Can't speak for prior activity. Needs a little paint and cleaning but would make a nice project for someone with nothing better to do. Might be good for a RR restoration shop which needs the long stroke.

Lemme know if you have interest. Can probably get it loaded but, of course, freight is your problem.

Just waiting for the rust

Koz

Reply to
Koz

There was a 24" Cincinnati shaper with tooling, in excellent running condition in south Seattle a few years ago. Guy was trying to *give* it away. After nearly 3 months of (expensive) advertising in the Seattle Times he gave up.

I suggest you start thinking about paying someone to haul your prize away.

Jeez, a 32" shaper must weigh at least 20,000 pounds.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

That would be Gould and Eberhardt. I have a 20" model in my shop. If I had to guess about weight, I would say 3000#. It needs a good home where it can get the attention it needs. I've been too busy to mess with it. Plus I have a 25" Smith and Mills that my wife wants out of the garage...

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

John,

If you are saying you have one that you'd like to get rid of... email me....

Reply to
Gene Kearns

Ive got a Gould and Eberhart about 1/4 mile from my home in Taft, California that needs a good home. I believe that its a 36". Probably not more than about 5000 lbs based on foot print sized. I think a guy could get it for about $500 or so.

Gunner

"I mean, when's the last time you heard of a college where the Young Republicans staged a "Sit In" to close down the Humanities building? On the flip side, how many sit in's were staged to close the ROTC building back in the '60's? Liberals stage protests, do civil disobedience, etc. Conservatives talk politely and try to work out a solution to problems through discourse until they believe that talking won't work... they they go home and open the gun cabinets. Pray things never get to the point where the conservatives decide that "civil disobedience" is the next step, because that's a very short route to "voting from the rooftops" Jeffrey Swartz, Misc.Survivalism

Reply to
Gunner

I might have been interested, but I've already got a wife.

-- Bob (Chief Pilot, White Knuckle Airways)

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love America

Reply to
Bob Chilcoat

Not that heavy. As was said in other posts, probably around 5000#. Not mine, a customers. I just hate to see things like this be tuned into rust. Kinda like seeing a '50s car hit the prolerizer.

Too bad no one has come up with a useful modification to make old shapers do something needed in today's shops. I saw a CNC once where the y axis was driven on a mount similar to a shaper ram. Head was mounted where the clapper normally goes. This made the for easy fab job as one only needed to use the existing table axis for x and ram for y. I wonder how hard it would be to convert some of this old iron into some sort of cnc router.

Koz

Reply to
Koz

I've heard of guys bolting a Bridgeport J-head in place of the toolpost on a large shaper .. I've got an extra J-head if you want to try it! :-)

GWE

Koz wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Gunner wrote in

Ever get rid of the Flather? That is a neat shaper and not too gosh awful big. What was it, 14"?

Reply to
Marty Escarcega

Ayup. A fellow came down from Sonoma County as best as I can recall and hauled it off. He got a hell of a deal on it and I took a lose, but the old girl wasnt getting any use and I needed the space badly.

He promised to send me some pictures after it was restored, but so far nothing.