Lathe chatters and I can't get rid of it

I can't part anything on my Lathemaster now. It seems like the entire lathe is made of taffy. Will not cut until it jams. Can't measure any movement so far. Carbide or HSS, no difference. I have to strip it down and reassemble it. All gibs are tight. Spindle bearing preload is tight. The 2 headstock bolts I can see I've torqued. The only possible thing left are the other 2 headstock bolts I can't see, but assume must be there for a total of four bolts. Chuck is tight too. Apron, saddle ditto. This can't be possible can it? Help. Must have working lathe.

Reply to
Ben Woodward

Can't measure any chuck movement with a prybar under the chuck on the saddle. Is this normal, or should I 86 this lathe?

Reply to
Ben Woodward

Well, apparently from the previous message, it USED to work OK, right?

So, what changed? Did something break, wear out, or what?

If it absolutely won't cut, then either the tool profile is wrong (not presenting a sharp edge to the workpiece) or the material is hard as hades. Not being there, I can't tell. If the cutoff tool is too high, it presents the front face to the work, instead of the cutting edge.

If it tries to cut, but just grumbles and the work tries to climb over the cutter, then the workpiece is at least very hard, and/or the whole stackup from the bed, carriage to the tool is flexing, somehow. Usually it is the compound rest and toolpost that are the weak links.

Also, extending the compound rest so it has an "overhang" can seriously alter the dynamics of the lathe. It makes the tool point have a long lever arm to the compound swivel, and on some lathes can dramatically increase the "springiness" of the whole lathe.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

The one place Ive seen that a "Lantern post" type tool holder is great..is for cutting off.. assuming you stack enough spacers under the cutoff tool and can get in close enough to the workpiece. All the forces are directly over the compound, and the only leverage is front to back, rather than front, back, and to the side.

When I had the old Logan 10, I ground down a chunk of 5/16 rectangular bar stock so it had a .5 long cutting tool on the front of it, with a

1/8" width..and I stuck it in the lantern post tool holder with spacers under it to get it to center height. That puppy would hog out a groove really slick

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

You might like to check that the spindle is running in the correct direction. This is of course one of the most pathetic things to admit, but I once spent some time trying to figure out why the lathe didn't part and, after checking everything else I realised it was turning the wrong way round ;) (Accidentally tripped a switch)

Harri

Reply to
hjoy

and of course "less speed and more feed"

Reply to
Guy Fawkes

Sigh..

Gunner, who burned up a perfectly good, very sharp 5/8" endmill this past weekend...lefthanded..by flipping on the vfd for an instant in the wrong directio by force of habit

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

Make sure the lathe is still level, plumb, straight, true, and supported by all provided points..... as another noted... if it *did* work and now it *doesn't* work.... something has changed. Find that and you'll be able to fix the problem.

Reply to
Gene Kearns