lathe leveling

I just moved my Colchester Clausing from one side of the shop to another. Originally I had it leveled so that coolant on the ways, when working near the headstock, would slowly flow down the ways to the tailstock and past and then drip into the pan. My thinking was: thats a good way to keep the ways lubed, and when using the tailstock, it slides easily. Now I'm thinking I level it the other way so coolant never much flows past the work and keep the rest lubricated with way oil.

What do you guys think is best?

cheers T.Alan

Reply to
T.Alan Kraus

Level is level. I'd set the lathe up so that the ways are level across at both ends and along the length of the ways. Using a precision level.

Reply to
Jim Levie

I'm of the opinion that coolant is not to be considered to be way lubricant.

A lathe being level is more critical in the way of eliminating twist than for the sole purpose of being level. Still, my advice would be to level the machine and don't be concerned about coolant flowing anywhere in particular. They're built to be operated in a level condition, which is likely the best of all worlds.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos