Looking for advice punching surgical tubing

I'm working with a new client through the SBD-ITC who needs to upgrade old tooling used to punch hoes in surgical (neoprene) tubing... tubing sizes from .5od to .625 and hole sizes from 1/16th to 1/8th. At present they use a single punch and stop just a hair into a Plexiglas stop. My idea is a punch/die set where there will be no need to pluck incomplete cuts as in the famous chards of Florida voting cards.

Anybody out there with solid experience punching neoprene tubing? My client will either buy and tool a new shop or will contract the work to a capable shop looking for business.

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

The only time I saw this done was with a type of hole saw in a drill press. The hole-saw was a hollow tube with a single cutting edge sharpened on the inside.

Jig was made to hold the tubing under the drill and provide support for the cut.

Reply to
marks542004

Thanks... looks like I will be going to gang punching due to production requirements. One hit equals one gang of 18 holes vs. 18 drilled holes through a jig....

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg