Lubricating oil recommendation for lathe

I'm currently trying to bring an old lathe back to life; it's an Ideal lathe, made in England around the 1920's -30's, 3 3/4" centre height 18" between centres. I'm trying to adjust (shim) the headstock bearings and it seems to be a good time to find out what to lubricate these with. The bearings are split-shell plain bronze (i.e. no white metal); a colleague has recommended Castrol Hyspin 68 oil, he uses this in our (considerably more modern) workshop machines. Castrol Hyspin is classed as a mineral hydraulic oil, does that seem the right lubricant for plain bearings of this type? Also, does a viscosity of 68 sound correct. Thanks in advance for any assistance rendered. Martin.

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

68 may be too heavy for split bronze headstock bearings. Probably fine for everything else. Basing this opinion on my experience with my SB 14 1/2 X 72. Headstock uses a LIGHT oil. If I use a heavier oil like hyd 68, the bearings heat up.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Marrs

I would suggest what I run in most of my spindles, Mobil One, 0w30 grade.

Jim

jim rozen