Machining rectangular gears?

In the book Five Hundred and Seven Mechanical Movements, Henry Brown shows a diagram of two rectangular gears (drawing #30) that when meshed together provide varying speed for the driven gear.

Anyone have any thoughts or references to a process for producing these gears?

I could imagine a single tooth cutter and a dividing head. I suspect that one would have to offset the gear when cutting the corners.

From the drawing a least, it appears that each tooth is of consistent depth, so treating it as circular wouldn't really get it.

Just curious.

-jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Sounds like a job for a shaper.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

Of course as soon as I ask the question I stumble across this

which covers the design and fabrication of elliptical gears. Similar issues I suspect.

-jeff

Reply to
Jeff