Machining Tips of a Hook

Hi folks,

I'd be grateful if someone advised me on this: We'd like to machine tips of hooks that are used in industrial sewing machine. The metal is hard (around 50HRc). There are a variety of hooks with tips that come in different shapes and sizes. Actually we are doing a repair job on these worn-out hooks by building 50HRC material. We have been successful in building the material however, I'd like to know the machining options. We were considering spark machining (EDM). Problem is we would not have drawings for the shape and size to be machined but only a template by way of another new hook that is not worn out. Can we use this as a template and perform EDM on this? Is there a more simpler process? The tips of the hooks would look like a triangle after machining. Approximate dimension would be 1mm-2mm height and 2mm base of the triangle and a thickness of around 700microns.

Thanks in advance.

Kumar

Reply to
kumar_ramachandra