Made this T-slot table today

I agree on "all of the above" of what you said.

It came from Caterpillar.

For big guys like this, spending $500,000 on a new machine is better than spending $5,000 on a used machine, they do not even think about it.

18,000 lbs is not a big deal for me any more.

The biggest machine I lifted recently was a 34,000 lbs Bullard VTL (lightened up some down to this weight). I also scrapped a machine 2 years ago that weighed 100,000 lbs, but I did so by parts, I only had a 15,000 forklift at the time.

Ignoramus10075

You've come a long way, Ig. d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Indeed, Ig has become a job creator on a multitude of levels. IMHO we need more small business, they contribute more to local ecconomies than mulit-nationals and thier not to big to fail.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
Howard Beal

From what I have seen in the Caterpillar movies - shots - that might be small for what they needed. Really. Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

They make all kinds of stuff, a lot of regular sized engines.

Ignoramus20074

That Micromatic honing machine would be right in their wheelhouse, Martin. They make everything from lightweight V8 short-haul truck diesels to the monsters that power their coal-mining machines.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Does not look like it is still made:

I also found a picture of bore honing

Ignoramus20074

The company that bought up that Textron division, IIRC, was Bates. Bates makes the tooling and honing units for automated honing and boring as they're applied in automotive transfer lines. In effect, instead of selling machine tools, they sell transfer-line modules and the tooling to go with them.

I would have thought they'd keep the stand-alone machine line, because non-automotive engine manufacture generally is a batch process.

But I don't know where it stands today. I follow fabricating rather than machining these days, so I'm out of touch on all of those shifts that occurred when Textron, White Consolidated, United Technologies, and the other big holding companies busted up their machine tool properties.

That's the way that many race-engine builders and small general rebuilders do it. The hand-held motors require a lot of experience to hone main-bearing bores accurately. You'll see that work done with heavy-duty 1/2" drill motors, too.

The rigid hones that are used today, from Sunnen and others, can follow their own lead and they cut pretty fast. So you have to get them started with that lead exactly right. Unlike flexible hones, they won't just follow the bore. There are some parallels to single-point boring and gun drilling.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I still think it depends in large part upon fortune 500 style investment (you know; for more of a fail-safe aspect).

Reply to
mogulah

Net job gains don't vary much by the size of the firm, in terms of number employed and the totals for each company-size category:

However, Tom ("Howard") was commenting on the effect on local economies. That's a different thing, and I suspect he's quite right.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I think that, more or less any regular economic activity contributes to general happiness, job creation, and such.

Ignoramus20074

Speaking of scrapping, ran across this site yesterday:

Rex

Looks cool, how did you find it?

Ignoramus20074

I can't recall the name of the super ultra large scoops machines used on the cut in Panama, but they bought that company to save the design and continue making them for large projects.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

I think it's Bucyrus, which bought Marion, the company that made with weird "walking" Big Muskie excavator. There's a modern marvels type show about it on youtube. It's worth a watch.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

I was at the former Bucyrus (now Cat) factory in Milwaukee. It was 2 years ago or so.

Ignoramus25825

How was it in there?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

I remember that they were making huge weldments, the size of a split level house. The building was not that big, maybe 100,000 square feet. Had a huge overhead crane. I bought some stuff there that worked out very well.

Ignoramus25825

nice.

The largest plant I ever saw was the GM diesel electric train locomotive factory in LaGrange. Everything there was huge. I'm not sure what happens there these days though, they seemed to phasing new production to a modern plant in Kansas City at the time.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

That is them!

Mart> >>> >>>