make your own press brake dies

Wonder where I could buy this stuff. I would like to give a try stamping aluminum wing ribs and other aluminum parts.

J.P.

Reply to
J.P.

OK, I finally found my copy of Hydraulic Die Forming for Jewelers and Metalsmiths. She uses urethane..."ordinary rubber may be used, but in comparison to urethane, the results are unsatisfactory. Rubber simply does not form metal as well and it degenerates quickly" but keep in mind she is a jeweler.

"95 durometer is the hardest and used most often; 80 durometer is slightly softer, moves under less pressure and has specific uses." "80 is yellow or yellow-orange, and 95 is orange or red."

She lists suppliers under Die Forming Equipment and Supplies: Bonny Doon (the owner has retired and apparently sold his business to Rio Grande Jeweler's Supply Frei and Borel (jewelers supply) Allcraft Tool

I bet there are better sources. Here are some on ebay (watch out for line wrap):

's one ebay store anyway:
'm sure there are more, but you have to figure out how to search without picking up all the skate board wheels and pool cues.

Steve

J.P. wrote:

Reply to
Steve Smith

I tired this last year, I didn't know squat, and had a fair amount of success

Here's one ebay store anyway:

Reply to
Jon

You're one up on me. It's on the list, but the list is long.

Steve