Making double-prong skewers -- Summary

Field report from the back yard: The skewers work just fine, and 1/8" diameter rod is not too large, and they are stiff enough that they don't flop when being handled with the tongs. The smooth surface makes removal of cooked meat easier.

We also found online suppliers of the better grade of skewers.

I think I'll throw the old plated rusty steel skewers away.

I also found the following posting, which pretty well summarizes what's needed for welding, hard soldering, and cleaning the firescale off stainless steel: .

And these guys are forging Type 304. Apparently electropolishing will restore the surface. And there is one poster who used to make food service equipment, and he said that Type 316 better resists cleaning solutions than Type 303/304.

So, we have the what-material-is-best answer: Use Type 303L, 304L, or 316L.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Oh NO!, leaded steel.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

The L is low chloride. I'd use 316L for cooking, less prone to chloride stress corrosion than the others.

(Did you forget the smiley:)?

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

I didn't know that. Thanks.

I don't know the tongue in cheek symbol. ;)

wes

Wes

Actually, in this alloy series, the L means low carbon.

But wineglasses made of leaded glass (at least 24% lead by weight) are the best.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

I thought that was the Low Fat version of stainless.

-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Here is the opposite: Þ

Reply to