Manual can openers working poorly

OK, sorry!!!

I have never seen them sold here...

Ignoramus16462

OK, sorry!!!

I have never seen them sold here...

i ========================================================================================

According to wikipedia that style was invented in the US and patented in

1858:
Of course it could also have been independently invented in Russia and we just didn't know about it :-).

----- Regards, Carl Ijames

Reply to
Carl Ijames

The Russians think that they invented everything...

Reply to
Ignoramus16462

Tin cans were invented to answer Napoleon's request for a better way to feed his Army in the field, shortly before he invaded Russia.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in news:n7uh18$q7g$1 @dont-email.me:

AH! So the Russians just found all those tens of thousands of French can openers lying around in the snow, and kept them until today to re-sell at retail!

THAT makes sense!

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

BTW Murat and Lanne(s) in my posting nym were two of Nappy's 'beau sabreur' generals.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Although the "poem" is usually attributed to western cowboys in the late 1800's :-)

Reply to
John B.

Man, ancient! I'd rather use my trusty P-51 opener. P-38s are too small/tedious to use.

Larry Jaques

Going to have to get those side cutters that roll the cut as it goes so the edge isn't sharp and the lid fits back on. Seen on TV...

Cans have changed a lot. See a number of pull tabs like beer once were.

I thought we used a can triangle punch and the other end is a bottle opener for milk.

Mart> I own several can openers, of manual style with a star wheel,

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

What gets me is that the "side cut" openers are called safety openers. I guess they figure that people are cutting their tongues when licking off can lids.

Reply to
geraldrmiller

Martin Eastburn fired this volley in news:zgCoy.241117$ snipped-for-privacy@fx31.iad:

Oh...!! I thought they were talking about diesel mechanics' tools! Thanks. That clears up a lot of the conversation for me.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

You mean to tell us that you've nev...Umm, never mind.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

My mother had one just like it. Remember it as far back as the mid

1970s. When the cutting and drive wheels finally wore out after 15 or 20 years I searched locally (pre Internet) for a replacement with no luck. Ended up buying a hand held Swing-a-Way and robbing the parts from it.

Great can opener! In addition to all the people food cans it probably opened 5,000 plus cans of cat food. Yum...

Reply to
William Bagwell

I oil it as needed, maybe once a decade, and a minute ago.

-jsw.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

It sounds like you're saying just stuck a finger in the way of the handle to reduce pressure on the can?

Like stripping wire with wire cutters so yo don't cut off the strands?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Just found one of the OXO versions at Harris Teeter (first shopping trip after the blizzard. :-) (Saves a web-based order, at least.)

Tomorrow a can gets opened with it.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Check out Amazon. Martin - owner of OXO imperial/metric digital scale used for bread baking.

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Cheap Junk that doesn't work is far more "Pricy".

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Yes, exactly so.

In doing a quick search on Amazon for Fissler I found two models for this type of opener. One model, the older one I believe looks to be identical to my "Good Cooks". In reading the reviews for this model quite a few people have this problem with them...

The other model doesn't seem to have handles that work by squeezing. I noticed this with the newer OXO models in my local store too (old models had handles to squeeze). They are packaged in such a way though that I can't play with one and see how they work. Too darn expensive to just buy one for curiosities sake. I think they have been redesigned though to use some sort of automatic tension for gripping the rim of the can...

Reply to
Leon Fisk