Mathematical Basis of Rollie's Dad's Method

A lathe just like mine is the poster child for "klunker" ?!?!

That one looks to be in better condition than mine was when I bought it. It still has all the handles, oilers and brass plates.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

The wear on the AA lathe bed was greater on the front way, under the tool bit, so the carriage tilted further away from the spindle axis near the chuck than towards the tailstock. It wasn't very evident until I milled the ways and saw the pattern of cuts.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Thanks, Joe.

Reply to
Denis G.

Snip

Snip

Because I had made the point that ANY pair of traverse measurements could be used to correctly define the spindle axis it was necessary to add the observation that the angular accuracy degrades as the spacing decreases.

The measured spindle axis orientation does not change if the location of the pairs of measurement points is moved, so choice can be a matter of convenience. Close the headstock and near the end of the test bar is normal.

Jim

Reply to
pentagrid

Ahh.