Maximum Diameter able to be Parted Off w/ Carbide Inserts

I was looking again at Carbide insert cut off blades and holders and have settled on the Dorian 71C QC part off blade holder. I still have questions though on the insert holder. For the BXA toolpost holder it says it uses blade style 19-2. What does the 19-2 mean? Also, the specs say that the 19-2 has a maximum diameter it can part off as

1.5". That isn't a very large diameter and I would hate to shell out $200 and only be able to part off diameters up to 1.5". Will the dorian take a larger blade or am I missing something. Thanks, Steve
Reply to
Steve

I would get the holder that uses the 26-2 which is taller. Then you can part off stuff 3 inches in dia. The first number is the heigth the second number is the width of the insert it takes. aka -2 = .087, -3 = .120 -4 = .160 ect.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

A lot of it will depend on how rigid your lathe is. On a good machine I have parted off 4" SS and not had to touch the faces of the cut. I have also had trouble on an old machine to cut a one inch bar of

1020. The 19-2 blade is aprox 3/4" high so will allow 2x depth, but the blades for that style > I was looking again at Carbide insert cut off blades and holders and
Reply to
Machineman

I have a Dorian BXA on a 13x36 Jet. I use a 26-3 blade(26mm high, 0.120" wide) in the Iscar holder block and mount the block in a standard BXA tool holder. This set-up works well and has enough reach to part off up to 3" dia. While it is not as clean and rigid as a Q/C holder that mounts the blade directly, it is good enough for serious use.

Randy

Reply to
Randal O'Brian