Metal Collecting Packrat Over Acheiver

I spent several hours on Friday and another several on Saturday at the ultimate metal collectors delight/horror. The man hauled in almost
anything made of metal for 40 years. There is a huge, probably weighs in excess of 20 tons shear, right next to a shed full of electrical panel boxes that have been stored so long the original cardboard wrapping is gone on the top ten layers. The shear is scrap having been left outdoors for 20 years and being vey obsolete when it was brought in. The widow's son filled the 14th full haul-a-way with scrap on Saturday and he isn't half done with the outside work yet, nor has he started to demo the rambling shacks and sheds. My efforts involved purchasing and salvaging the smaller stuff inside. If anyone is in love with or just needs larger carbide inserts I brought home several hundred pounds. Most were new but so obsolete they are best scrapped. I have agreed to buy his small lathe, two mills and some other machines but they are currently not accessable due to the horrendous piles of metal stuff. Lots of frozen three phase motors, more old welders and three phase transformer then you can count and the wildest lathe chuck storage system I have ever seen. He drove a 2" pipe about 8' long into the ground then slide 10-12 big lathe chucks over it so they wouldn't fall over. Yes, this is almost a rant as I can't believe all the great stuff that was reduced to scrap metal and the fact that one man hauled it all home. His family said he circulated through the local scrap yards and brought everything interesting home. One room was entirely filled with shelves of tiny boxes containing nearly every weird fastener you might imagine. I took a few of the keys, drive screws and SS and left all the rest. If this sounds like your house please be kind to your loved ones and don't leave them with hundreds of tons of scarp to dispose of. Some of the wierder items he saved included an entire wall covered with old drafting machines, a breadbox full of used popsicle sticks, numerous piles of plastic, aluminum and paper containers such as fast food comes in, brand new cheapistan, full drill bit indexes laying on top of thousands of quality HS drills, many rolls of 28 ga and smaller electrical wire but no wire to put lights in the buildings. Leigh at Marmachine
did you take any pictures? this sounds hard to imagine

If Leigh says something..he is probably understating it.
hummmm...when you going over there again?
Gunner
On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 22:49:47 -0700, Gunner Asch wrote:

Leigh, Are you sure you didn't wander into GunnerLand (tm) by mistake.I have seen photos of Gunner's place :-) I wann visit there one day - leave the kids at Disneyland and go have some real fun! Geoff
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 19:41:25 +1200, Geoff

Nah...couldnt be mine. It only took 3 dumpsters to clear (most) of the unwanted stuff....
Gunner

Sounds almost like my place. When I worked for the big corporation, I got surplused equipment for almost free. Used it to get all the steel and motors and etc. I'll ever need. "The Kid" hauled about 25 dumptruck loads to the scrap guy last year and only got about half. I'm ready to find somebody to finish the work as steel scrap is way high right now.
Karl

Just the original problem - none of it was "unwanted" while the guy was around to want it, evidently. I have veerings in this direction, but I try to keep them in check. A bargain (or "free stuff!!!") "too good to be passed up" should be passed up if it will constipate your shop/storage space and prevent you from getting anything done. When you have significant number of "great projects" that have been sitting for 10 years and not worked on in 10 years, you'll be better off shipping them out the door at a loss, simply to free up space.
Gunner's ability to offer up his excess (with a shop cat or seven attached to the bargain) is a Good Thing.

I saw a smaller version of this a month ago (not the same place as mentioned in my "Lathe in Downers Grove area" post). The guy had THREE SHEDS full of stuff to the brim. Several hundred fishing rods, several tons of Crasftsman tools, etc. Big sinker casting setup also.
Ignoramus3635 wrote:

My brother told me a story of a guy up in central Washington with the same affliction. He died leaving no kin and the Sheriff's department had to do the cleanup. One of the items they found was a complete set of county jail keys that had been "lost" about 3 years earlier.

Buying a complete set of county jail keys, seems like a very wise, forward looking step to me! :)
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Those of us who don't have "loved ones" have no reason to give a damn how big a mess we leave behind...

yeah, i know a guy like that too in my area. it's sad to see all that stuff that's been turned into rusted hulks. the guy is in his late 80's. he has little walkways/passageways through his shop (but i mean also tons and tons of stuff stored outside too).
b.w.
Hey Leigh,
Any chance this place is on San Fernando Rd., just east of Lankershim?? The picture you leave in my mind sure would be just like that!! <VBG>
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 20:32:50 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@AOL.COM wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@AOL.COM wrote:

At least he had a wife that let him bring stuff home.
Wes

In my case,senior son and junior so have specifically requested certain items; middle son wants everything else - he takes after the old man. Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Gerald Miller wrote:

As long as you can still outrun him! ;-)
prove it.
On Sep 23, 10:32 pm, snipped-for-privacy@AOL.COM wrote:

Locally, there is a currently accumulating collection that covers over 40 acres. This includes, (but not limited to) railroad cars, cranes, cement trucks, tractors, too many lathes to even imagine counting, many of which have long since sank into the ground under their own weight, at one time there was at least a dozen forklifts in a row, tow trucks, tank cars, shears, punch presses, a band saw big enough to saw a tractor in two, nibbler machines, chucks, hyd cylenders, hoses, augers, many, many mills, again, many already disapeared into the ground, iron workers, dies, wires, cats, overhead cranes, rail sections, pumps, valves, electrical boxes, band saws, septic pumping truck, truck cranes, skidsteers, machines driven by flat belts from old tractors placed around the property, chains, lift slings, shackles, bar stock, plate stock, tubes, pipes, gears, belts, pulleys, and most of the stuff I don't even recognize. And yes, I really DID understate it. Most of it outside, slowly sinking into the dirt. And no, NONE of it can be bought. NONE.
Don't try that at home.