I bought eight semi trailers today

Scary but true, I bought 8 semi trailers today at an auction.
All are junk and rusted, but the price was right.

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 20:33:30 -0600, Ignoramus25526

I got one for $700 delivered a while back. VERY CHEAP storage building. Bet I can sell it for more at any time.
Bet you got them for under $100 each if you have to move them yourself.
Karl

I paid a lot more than that for them. But with scrap prices where they are, I think that I can come ahead anyway. I can cut the legs and axles off and move three trailers per round trip to the scrap yard, on my own flatbed semi trailer.
Here are some representative pictures
http://goo.gl/aPDwca http://goo.gl/Hg2uxz http://goo.gl/mvxcfA http://goo.gl/xpS1bA
On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 20:58:36 -0600, Ignoramus25526

You got a hellofa lot of steel there iggy.
I thought you meant cargo vans. Mine's an insulated reefer. real nice cheap building now.
Karl

I am thinking each contains appx. 6-7 short tons of steel. and perhaps some tires may be resellable.

I recently saw one company that was owned by a rich hoarder. He had a big yard, maybe 2 acres. It was completely filled with storage semi trailer vans, full of crap, unbelievable sight.
This crap is right now on auction here:
https://www.apexauctions.com/auction-us/auctionDetails.htm?auctionId 04
That guy already extended the timed auction, by 40 days, TWICE. (!!!!)
He believes that he has a bunch of treasures. What I see is a bunch of scrap metal junk that is hard to get out of those semi trailers.

Obviously, the equipment isn't in such a condition that it is worth anything, or nobody in that area wants to buy old, questionable food processing equipment... mmmm?
FWIW, Gunner, if there ain't a market for something, it's worthless.
When I buy used pharma equipment for use in the fireworks trade, I buy from a used equipment house that's willing to a) let me try out the equipment for the cost of shipping, and b) tests everything, and has a guarantee on everything.
Such an outfit is GPI (George Ponte, Inc) Equipment, with whom I've been very pleased.
Lloyd
On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 06:05:18 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

Perhaps he was thinking the stuff Ig just demoed could be used to offload the metal?
--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.

Guys, I assume that you were not inside those semi trailers full of hoarded food equipment.
I was in there and looked at them.
It is my opinion that most of those machines are broken and missing parts.
On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 21:25:46 -0600, Ignoramus10337

Then they might be worth a little for a guy that has an old bakery with a bunch of those machines, and the Maker is long gone.
But if someone is investing the money to build a large production bakery or other food factory, he isn't going to take a flyer on buying large quantities of used gear unless he's got a stellar maintenance team.
If he isn't actively marketing them /and/ regularly getting buyers for them and shipping them out, he's got a pile of Scrap.
The fun part is seeing if he can make more money selling them all As-Is, or whether a small investment of a Mechanic getting them all fixed and certified Ready To Run will get him enough added sales and increased prices to pay for it.
It's like those Flatbed Trailers you bought - a few of them might be good enough to bother Painting and fixing up, and selling as usable trailers. Others will be rusted through, tramped out axles, and ready for scrap - just have to figure out which is which.
--<< Bruce >>--

Exactly. Pile of scrap and some salvageable parts.

I think that I will scrap all of them.

Looks like a minimum of $500,000 worth there if you can find the right buyer - and thats just on the first 5 pages or so. I didn't go all the way to page 12.
On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 20:58:36 -0600, Ignoramus25526

Ooh, some nice tubing there. Gonna keep it?

Plenty of pre-loaded scrap there. Is there a market for used I-beams that large? I'll bet you could get a lot more than scrap prices for them.
Good haul, as usual.
--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.

I agree. My own semi flatbed that I use all the time, needed some extensive repairs in the kingpin area.
On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 07:44:42 -0600, Ignoramus10337

A few of them could very well actually be BETTER than the one you are currently using - with a little bit of cleaning up.
On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 20:42:23 -0600, Karl Townsend wrote:

Karl! Ask if any of them are big enough for your boat!
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Yeah, all you'd need to do is build a cradle for the boat, and a two or three axle Class 5 or 6 "City Tractor" retired from a beverage distributor. You wouldn't need a full-on Class 8 tractor with that light of a load.
--<< Bruce >>--