I bought eight semi trailers today

Scary but true, I bought 8 semi trailers today at an auction.

All are junk and rusted, but the price was right.

Ignoramus25526

I got one for $700 delivered a while back. VERY CHEAP storage building. Bet I can sell it for more at any time.

Bet you got them for under $100 each if you have to move them yourself.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I paid a lot more than that for them. But with scrap prices where they are, I think that I can come ahead anyway. I can cut the legs and axles off and move three trailers per round trip to the scrap yard, on my own flatbed semi trailer.

Here are some representative pictures

Ignoramus25526

You got a hellofa lot of steel there iggy.

I thought you meant cargo vans. Mine's an insulated reefer. real nice cheap building now.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I am thinking each contains appx. 6-7 short tons of steel. and perhaps some tires may be resellable.

I recently saw one company that was owned by a rich hoarder. He had a big yard, maybe 2 acres. It was completely filled with storage semi trailer vans, full of crap, unbelievable sight.

This crap is right now on auction here:

That guy already extended the timed auction, by 40 days, TWICE. (!!!!)

He believes that he has a bunch of treasures. What I see is a bunch of scrap metal junk that is hard to get out of those semi trailers.

Ignoramus25526

Ooh, some nice tubing there. Gonna keep it?

Plenty of pre-loaded scrap there. Is there a market for used I-beams that large? I'll bet you could get a lot more than scrap prices for them.

Good haul, as usual.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Gunner Asch fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Obviously, the equipment isn't in such a condition that it is worth anything, or nobody in that area wants to buy old, questionable food processing equipment... mmmm?

FWIW, Gunner, if there ain't a market for something, it's worthless.

When I buy used pharma equipment for use in the fireworks trade, I buy from a used equipment house that's willing to a) let me try out the equipment for the cost of shipping, and b) tests everything, and has a guarantee on everything.

Such an outfit is GPI (George Ponte, Inc) Equipment, with whom I've been very pleased.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I agree. My own semi flatbed that I use all the time, needed some extensive repairs in the kingpin area.

Ignoramus10337

Looks like a minimum of $500,000 worth there if you can find the right buyer - and thats just on the first 5 pages or so. I didn't go all the way to page 12.

Reply to
clare

Karl! Ask if any of them are big enough for your boat!

Reply to
Tim Wescott

A few of them could very well actually be BETTER than the one you are currently using - with a little bit of cleaning up.

Reply to
clare

Perhaps he was thinking the stuff Ig just demoed could be used to offload the metal?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Guys, I assume that you were not inside those semi trailers full of hoarded food equipment.

I was in there and looked at them.

It is my opinion that most of those machines are broken and missing parts.

Ignoramus10337

Then they might be worth a little for a guy that has an old bakery with a bunch of those machines, and the Maker is long gone.

But if someone is investing the money to build a large production bakery or other food factory, he isn't going to take a flyer on buying large quantities of used gear unless he's got a stellar maintenance team.

If he isn't actively marketing them /and/ regularly getting buyers for them and shipping them out, he's got a pile of Scrap.

The fun part is seeing if he can make more money selling them all As-Is, or whether a small investment of a Mechanic getting them all fixed and certified Ready To Run will get him enough added sales and increased prices to pay for it.

It's like those Flatbed Trailers you bought - a few of them might be good enough to bother Painting and fixing up, and selling as usable trailers. Others will be rusted through, tramped out axles, and ready for scrap - just have to figure out which is which.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)

Yeah, all you'd need to do is build a cradle for the boat, and a two or three axle Class 5 or 6 "City Tractor" retired from a beverage distributor. You wouldn't need a full-on Class 8 tractor with that light of a load.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)

Exactly. Pile of scrap and some salvageable parts.

I think that I will scrap all of them.

Ignoramus21685