DIY 45 foot cannon

Check out the video of the test firing.

I hope this guy can pull it off.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

Years ago a guy had a contract with the Navy, I believe, to use a cannon to launch research devices into space. As I remember it was several times cheaper then using rockets.

I don't remember the guy's name but he later had a contract with Iraq to build a super cannon and was assassinated in Belgium, allegedly by the Israeli Secret Service.

Reply to
John B.

F. George McDuffee

Yup, that was the guy.

Reply to
John B.

pace

I've read about this stuff before. It seems like a good idea, but the conse nsus seems to be that "it (is) impossible to reach a stable orbit without a n active payload which performs orbital correction burns to change the shap e of its orbit after launch." So, the payload would have to have thrusters and delicate instrumentation but still be able to survive a 5000 G launch. Sounds difficult. Considering though the cost of conventional rockets and t he orders of magnitude emissions reduction of using a cannon, this is a nic e idea.

Reply to
robobass

How would anyone get a shot out through the miles-deep trash in Earth's orbit nowadays, anyway?

Reply to
Larry Jaques