Seagull models PC-9

Just got one of these and was wondering if anybody had any building tips, suggestions or comments pertaining to this aircraft.

Reply to
rokman

What do you want to know? VERY nice flying piece of kit.

Assembly Comments.

  1. The recommended tank position is much too high if you are going to install the engine inverted as per instructions. Emit the supporting dowel and lower the tank to the floor. Encapsulate it in HD foam or you will get airframe vibration induced fuel foaming. CAUTION: The tank supplied will only give you about 7½ minutes SAFE endurance with a performance propped .46 operated predominately at full throttle.

  1. Cross check the whole model for structural weaknesses/deficiencies prior to test flying. On mine, the 1/16" balsa tank floor such as it is was cracked as well as not being glued properly to F2. Some quality thin CA fixed that. On my mate's PC-9 his rudder failed in flight, detaching from the fin. Not hinges detaching, but a fin structural glue joint failed without further incident. Mine has many more hours on it than his and the fin/rudder assembly has been fine thus far. He has since repaired his.

  2. Depending upon your silencer exhaust nozzle disposition, you might suffer exhaust oil residue ingress into the fuselage around the wing saddle and where the rear of the wing abuts the fuselage. The latter will allow seep into the glue joint of the retainer which holds the wing on if you don't seal it somehow.

Flying Tips

  1. Beware potential engine overheating with the cowl on. Fitted cowl looks great, but truly a disfunctional cowl design with poor flow due the lack of exit venting. If in doubt, test fly without the cowl and avoid potential deadsticks with an unfamiliar and possibly out of trim model. The model flies fine without the cowl, and the Oracover/Profilm/Ultracote won't lift from the airflow impact.

  1. If you're using an OS .46SF/FX/AX or similar, I heartily endorse using a 10x7 for stunning performance. An 11 or 11.5 x 5 will slow it down a little whilst offering superior acceleration and deceleration. Any more engine than this in this model is absurd. Unlike its VMAR cousin, you simply don't *need* a .50 anything in it to achieve performance orientated vertical and the *airframe* simply isn't built to take a .60. If you want to over-engine it, buy the VMAR. A decent .40 would still fly this model well.

  2. DO test fly it the first time with low rates set to manual recommended test deflections. Until you get used to it, this is one lively kitty and a very clean machine. Rudder authority is poor even at high rates at low airspeeds, pitch is increasingly responsive throughout the speed envelope, and - caution - roll is rapid at high rates and speed. The primary controls overall have a light 'feel' requiring smoothness and finesse. You need time and space to decelerate this model to landing speed, so take a tip and reduce to flight idle on joining downwind. ie: early.

  1. The model stalls straight ahead. No wing dropping tendency. Whilst the model can be flown quite slowly on approach, control authority is poor at very low speeds requiring considerable input anticipation to overcome aerodynamic and inertial lag, a real bitch in windy conditions. For this reason, the model is best flown in a marginally higher speed with a fraction of throttle for approach and landing. You'll quickly discern when you've got it configured just right as it as it so obviously just in a perfect approach speed and ROD groove. However if you carry too much speed and/or throttle, it will float forever in ground effect and will eat up miles of runway. If you indiscriminately slam it down prematurely, ie: too fast, don't expect those wing undercarriage mounts to last long using that sort of approach, if you'll pardon my pun. Also likes to be flown off and accelerated rather than launched into space like 3D model. Ground handling is unremarkable 'cept to say it sure looks "the business" when taxi-ing and flying. I always feel like a Spitfire pilot when I'm flying her. You'll see what I mean when you've got yours sorted.

In summary, Seagull's PC-9 is a real favourite with everyone I know who has one, without exception. I'd never be without one in my hanger. I don't know of anyone who owns one of these who doesn't enjoy flying it. Unquestionably my favourite sports model.

Reply to
jl seagull