Metal spinning tools

I'm an amateur woodturner looking into hand metal spinning as an extension to my craft. I've pretty much established that my Jet can do the fairly small items I'm considering, once I've purchase a modified toolrest, but acquiring tools is another subject. The only manufactured spinning tools available for a home craftsman that I can locate are a limited selection of tools produced by Sorby. Can anyone point me to a custom toolmaker familiar with hand spinning tools, or should I just go to my local machinist and hope for the best?

-- Regards, Eric Fretheim

Reply to
Eric Fretheim

Beautiful! That's just the sort of thing I've been looking for. Should have thought of Yahoo. Thanks.

-- Regards, Eric Fretheim

David Bill> If you haven't already found it join

Reply to
Eric Fretheim

Reply to
David Billington

I haven't done spinning, but have looked into doing it. In fact, my wood lathe is converted from what was originally a metalspinning lathe--a Spinmaster:

The tools I've seen in textbooks are just steel shafts, with hardened tips ground and polished to various shapes.

Buy a 36" length of 1/2" oil-hardening tool steel, cut into 3 pieces, and make your own tools with long wooden handles.

I *am* a custom toolmaker, by the way.

Ken Grunke La Farge, WI USA

Reply to
Ken Grunke

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep your URL on tap in case I run into trouble... I checked your gallery out. Very nice work!

Reply to
Eric Fretheim

I made a basic forming tool by cutting a rod on an angle and grinding it to resemble the back of a teaspoon then polished it smooth. Another possibility is to mount a small ball bearing race in a split in the end of a rod. In both cases, the rod needs to be long and stiff enough to provide leverage to generate the required forces. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

See

R. O'Brian

The Metal spinning workshop DVD will be released in April 2005. 120 minutes

New metal spinning DVD due for release

This innovative DVD is the first ever-visual tutorial produced on the age old craft of Metal Spinning. Get one on one metal spinning lesson, tips, tricks & spinning secrets from Terry Tynan, a life long professional Metal spinner from the comfort of your own workshop or home. The DVD contains six chapters.

Chapter 1 Making your own metal spinning tools Chapter 2 Beading, trimming, truing up Chapter 3 Converting a wood turning lathe into a metal spinning lathe Chapter 4 Posture Chapter 5 Speed, control, pressure Chapter 6 Metal spinning tutorials This chapter covers the four basic shapes in metal spinning, the dome/hemisphere, cylinder, cone, and flute

Go to

to view the full details.

Reply to
Terry