beeswax

what is beeswax used for i assume a coating, get the metal hot n rub it on is that right?

I wouldn't use beeswax myself. I do use it, in some quantity, but not on metalwork. I generally use a commercial harder finishing wax, such as Liberon's Black Bison. Wax is usually applied mixed in a solvent, to make it easier to apply - I've posted recipes to rec.woodworking and rec.knives before (search for "carnauba").
Waxes should be used cold, then buffed well. A stiff shoe polishing brush is about right.
The usual hot finish is oil instead. Clean engine oil can give blues, old engine oil gives a better black. Vegetable oils generally end up brown. Experiment, and expect fires.
--
Smert' spamionam

Hehe, reminds me of the army days buffing the barracks floors. We'd fire up a can of Johnsons paste wax and then dump it all over the place and buff it out. Funny, never saw a smoke detector around there...
GA
On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 20:58:40 -0800, "Greyangel"
Interesting chemistry in doing that. Same as adding amonia to waxes to make them easier to work.

How did you polish your boots ? Spit and polish, or the spoon and candle flame ? "burning your boots" used to be both a disciplinary offence (it ruins their waterproofing, and a necessary requirement for getting the right parade ground shine. Now I guess a charred spoon in the barracks would be seen quite differently.

it
I think it was all spit polish (can of water close by). Been a while - I have vague memories of burning the polish in the can too but this could just be cross wired memory circuits.
GA
Putting wax on warm really helps; it flows into all the cracks nicely.
You can also do a burnt wax finish, but it is pretty finicky about having the right temperature. With the right temp you can get an interesting brown finish that is pretty durable.
Steve
Andy Dingley wrote:

I use it a lot in demonstrating to the public. I apply it hot, at about 350 degrees F. I simply test by rubbing it on the part. If it catches fire, it is too hot. Always do this with gloves. I wipe off the extra beeswax while the part is still hot. Done in this manner, the metal turns black. It is a good interior finish, but not for outside. You want to apply it to parts that DO have fire scale on them. the beewax seems to actually soak in to the fire scale. Also smells nice in the process and gets a lot of audience reaction, especially if, while asking them what they think this is, I take a bit out of it. I wouldn't use this for exterior finish, but I did try it on some S hooks used outside and it lasted a couple of seasons.
Pete Stanaitis
me wrote:

I went looking for some bees wax around my neck of the city gave up. I actually had to explain it to one girl in the crafts store. "you know, wax that comes from bees?" She was still confused when I left. Found some in another craft store. They wanted six bucks for four lousy ounces of the stuff. said the hell with it.
GA

on
Is there a cloth store ? - they sell bee wax in snuff box size normally in a plastic holder with slots on one side. This is used to wax string and cord.
Maybe in the craft store, but in a different department.
Martin Greyangel wrote:

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 19:03:02 -0800, "Greyangel"

Easiest place to find beeswax is a fabric store. They sell it in the 'notions' department. Not cheap, but convenient for small quantities. Six dollars for four ounces is excessive around here.
--RC

Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent
There are lots of hits if you google for it, way cheaper.
Steve
Greyangel wrote:

The cloth store was where I found the little four oz. packages. Way cheaper on line. Yeah I expect so. Gotta wonder what this internet economy is doing to us when you can find what you want cheaper on line and people stop shopping in their local area. You end up with strip malls full of clothing stores and fast food joints on every corner and it's gotten hard to find anything of substance.
GA

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 04:38:05 -0800, "Greyangel"

Unless the store of substance also has an on-line presence. That's becoming increasingly common.
Besides, look at it this way: If it weren't for the Internet our access to a whole lot of things (like blacksmith's tools!) would be spotty and restricted.
--RC

Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent
Couldn't agree more. Love the internet for that reason. I get more confused looks around here when I'm looking to pick up something I need for knife project. Even the metal dealers stutter when you actually start to talk composition and tool steels. Though to be fair I finally found a metals dealer one town over that knows their stuff. It just aggravates me how narrow the scope is in my area. GA

about
catches
extra
beewax
asking
it

I remember seeing candles from bees wax at one time. If the problem persists let me know. We've got a lot bee keepers in my area and I'm sure I can get some easily (although it might be the REAL thing). How much would you like?
dennis in nca

area
How
As an inexperienced bladesmith I tend to go looking for something I think I could use for whatever project I'm working on at the time. I wanted to try using the bees wax to shine up wooden handles. Maybe mix it with olive oil or something. Not really impressed with the shine from Danish Oil. I probably don't need much. I did happen to spot some in a hardware store near work one day when I was frantically trying to find some specific loctite formula to meet some manufacturers specs. I don't think Loctite even sells over the counter anymore from what I found that day. ;-) Anyway I haven't had a chance to go back and check it out but that may do me just fine. I appreciate the offer though. I'm open to suggestions on a good shine/sealer for handle wood though if anybody has better ideas? I know the Danish Oil is supposed to be a good deep sealer but it could use something on top of it to shine it up some I think. Or maybe I'm just not doing it right ;)
GA

Ugh. Please, no. As a reasonably experienced woodworker, beeswax is not a good choice for a high shine, and olive oil goes rancid when used as a finish. Beeswax on wood is relatively soft and sticky, giving a low-luster shine that tends to pick up dust.
If you want a high shine, carnuba is the wax of choice - putting it on with a buff gets the best shine, but if your blade is sharp this might require some degree of cleverness in keeping all your fingers while buffing the handle. And it would be quite unsuitable for handle use (non-display), since shiny=slippery.
Likewise, Danish oil is not a finish suited to shiny. Lacquer (Deft in a spray can is the easiest workable stuff for low volume use) is good at shiny, and lacquer which is buffed (rouge, white diamond and carnuba wax - on separate buffs) is far up on the high end of shiny. Shellac can also do shiny quite well.
The "finish" (and I use the term loosely) I prefer on wooden handles for use (saws, planes, hammers, mallets) is about 1/3 each carnuba, turpentine, and boiled linseed oil. I cheat and get the first two already mixed as bowling alley wax (no grit in that, unlike some other floor waxes). It has a good feel, and is less prone to causing blisters than the shiny finishes that sometimes come on manufacturered wooden handles.

I've been looking for a good handle finish for a while, this sounds like just the one. I've been so close!
Do you heat up the wax then mix in the BLO?
Eide

The joy of using paste wax is that I don't have to heat, flake, scrape or otherwise fuss to get it to mix. I just put a dollop of paste wax (which is wax and turpentine, for the wax I buy - Butcher's bowling alley wax, clear) in a small jar or can, and guesstimate half a dollop of BLO, and stir - the paste wax is already workable enough that this goes pretty easily, and gets easier yet as the oil works in.
Heat or extreme patience is needed if starting from pure wax. Heating wax (and perhaps the oil) in a double boiler and then going away from the heat to add the oil (perhaps) and turps (definitely) would probably be the way to do that, but I don't make this mix that way.

Carnuba wax? Never heard of it but I'll see if I can find it. I'm not set on using any one thing, just wanted to find something that works. Thanks for the tip! As for suitable for knife handles... I'm out to do display kind of stuff too and geometry can often make up for a too smooth texture. Hell, it's done all the time in the industry.
GA
wrote:

think I

try