brass or gold finish look

how do you get the brass or gold finish look, i've seen many pieces that look like iron then accented in brass or gold say near the edges

Reply to
me

Cheap imported decorations in thin sheet ? It's brazing rod, done with a gas welding torch.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

With the metal black hot - that is to say, you've heated it up to red but it has cooled enough to go back to black - rub a brush with brass bristles across the metal.

If the metal is any hotter or cooler it will not work.

You can get a brass brush at any hardware store.

Have fun,

An>how do you get the brass or gold finish look, i've seen many pieces that

Reply to
Anon Ymous

Safe to assume any finish won't stand up to a polish?

GA

Reply to
Greyangel

Not sure exactly how you define polish. I don't typically associate decorative iron with polishing in the sense of trying to make it shiny... so if you mean will it rub off easily, the answer is no.

If you mean buffing the surface to a mirror finish, that involves removing material and it will take this treatment off along with the top layer of iron it's bonded to.

This method seems to stand up well for use on decorative pieces such as hammered leaves, handles, etc. It won't wash off or come off on hands.

One could always use a couple of coats of Krylon clear coat over it just to be certain...

An>Safe to assume any finish won't stand up to a polish?

Reply to
Anon Ymous

Try it. I've never used this as a deliberate finish, but if you ever use a powered bronze brush for finishing you do get this bronze burnished effect and it's very hard to clean off afterwards.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Sorry, Yeah, should have said sanding.

GA